Do certain colors attract predators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had any particular wildlife show interest in my yellow fins, but on my first ever ocean dive I watched a couple of barracuda repeatedly hit the teardrop weights on the carolina rig during the safety stop. The weights were grey, weathered, not that shiny, but since then I'm weary of any barracuda interest. I"m even pondering wrapping black electric tape around my SS Drings/quick snaps....

Help me out here, what is a carolina rig and how do they attach to teardrop weights? Thanks

the Carolina Rig is the way ropes are hung at the bottom of a dive boat to make it easier for divers to ascend/descend. off NC the boat anchors in to the wreck, but due to the current the anchor line will be at a usually steep angle. so if you drop straight down from the boat, you'll end up in the sand.

a weighted line is dropped from each of the 4 corners of the boat. 2 parallel lines connect them at 15', and 2 lines lead from the bow connection to the anchor line. if the water's choppy, you and buddy can say "let's meet at the hang line" so you don't have to bob around at the surface, waiting. upon exit it's harder to forget the safety stop, and the effects of current are reduced. this is good when you're 30 or 40 miles offshore.

i hope this picture works:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8295

I have always heard of the YUM-YUM YELLOW thing but I have never seen it myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom