Do certain colors attract predators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been many experiments on shark visual accuity. They do have cones present in their eyes which can detect color. Also their eyes adjust more rapidly to light changes. It seems that yellow then shiny silver peaks more than their interest. With these colors, the shark will actually do the next step and make contact with the object. When I have gone on shark diving trips, we are told to wear wetsuits mainly black in color vs yellow or white. Also, we do not wear anything shiny. Since we will be making contact with these fish, it is best not to make them even more interested in us.

Carolyn:shark2:

Are those Yellow balloons?

In some cases. Usually light colored balloons are used so you can spot them easier. usually you have 3 or 4 lines out, with 3 on Balloons. It's best to use different colors. So at any given time you may have a yellow, orange and a red balloon out. (white too is never used as it is not uncommon to have white-caps out in the areas where we used to fish and the white balloons blended in too much. Yellow and red always got attacked.

YouTube - Shark Week- Mythbusters: Shark's Favorite Color?

Do sharks prefer yellow? The MythBusters find out.

A youtube search of "sharks, yellow" turned up the above.
I "don't have the latest flash player" so i can't see if it's any good. Arnt i crap?

I couldn't find any for jet skier's running over fruit though:rofl3:

YouTube - Shark Week- Mythbusters: Shark's Favorite Color?

Do sharks prefer yellow? The MythBusters find out.

I "don't have the latest flash player" so i can't see if it's any good.

Thanks. It's only a couple of minutes long and, given the small amount of data they collected, I doubt their experiment is scientifically viable.

Their conclusion is that sharks are attracted to :
1. Yellow
2. Silver
and... drumroll...
3. Black :D

Then come white, red and blue.
(Note to self : upgrade to a Stars & Stripes, Union Jack, French or Spider-Man suit.)

if u like peeing in your wetsuit, you might want to drink fluids :)

for every study there will be one proving the prior is wrong.
On the subject of pee. I have always learned that pee will repel sharks. Then I saw a study that claimed it attracted them as they recognize the pee to be a scent from a food source (a boat flushing overboard or a shipwreck survivor)
I'm happy the mythbusters agree with me. it would have rocked my world had they not done so.

for every study there will be one proving the prior is wrong.
On the subject of pee. I have always learned that pee will repel sharks. Then I saw a study that claimed it attracted them as they recognize the pee to be a scent from a food source (a boat flushing overboard or a shipwreck survivor)
I'm happy the mythbusters agree with me. it would have rocked my world had they not done so.

The only shark I have heard of that likes pee is the Great White, since it's main diet is mammals being pinnipeds. We always drink a lot and pee in the water to test the theory. So far nothing, but once in a great while someone see's a shark while diving here. I doubt Randy Frey saw the one that took his head off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom