Do certs matter to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06:
Not to beat this thing to death but...PADI represents what...60% of all certifications...that means that... combine all the other agencies and we have the other 40%...OK. So let's say that out of 100 divers certified, 60 are from PADI, 20 from NAUI, 5 from SSI etc. .etc.. Let's say that out of the 60 PADI divers, 10 really "SUCK" and should not get their c-cards. Fair to say that from the 20 students in the NAUI class, maybe 2 or 3 will really "SUCK". You'll obviously see more PADI divers who "SUCK" than any of the other agency...does that mean PADI's program is worse than the others, of course not...it's all proportional. That being said, next time we see a really bad diver, instead of asking them what certifiying agency they trained under, why don't we ask them how we can help them improve!

YES YES YES DIVE LEARN DIVE LEARN

EDIT:

I guess I should have read further first... I posted this in response to the first page or so of this thread. It doesn't really fit on the end here so well. :wink:

------------------------------------------------

Hmm...

I've got a whole stack of cards. So what?

I got a bunch of 'silly ones' in a mutual favor deal with an instructor I know or I never would have bothered. I basicaly paid for the manual (when I couldn't borrow one) and for the cert fee. He instructed me for free to get certs towords his MI with PADI.

Don't get me wrong, he didn't 'give' me any certs. He made me earn them, just didn't make me spend loads of money on them cause he knew I'd never waste time and money on most of em otherwise...

He started out teaching *every* student for free just cause he loves diving so much but then he eventualy got hooked up with a shop just to make logistics easier (they do a lot of the paperwork now). He also discovered that most students don't take it seriously if they have not invested anything (EG: money) in the course.

The funny part is he never did quite get to PADI MI (he's close) and I don't know if he will. He's gotten prety fed up with PADI and is now almost exclusively teaching SDI/TDI unless a student really wants the PADI cert instead.

Do ANY of my cards prove I'm a good diver? NO! They prove I've read manuals, regurgitated enough of them back on tests and did 1 or 2 dives well enough to pass each course.

The proof is, and truely can only be, in the diving itself...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom