Do I need a P-valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladbak1

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Just wondering your thoughts on the P valve. Going to be diving wrecks, quarries and wherever else possible. I do like to drink a lot of fluids, which I'm finding out is a good thing.

If I do go with the valve, can I install it myself or LDS?
Where is a good location for the valve?

Thanks

What you are diving on isn't very important. It's more if you do decompression dives. Then it's a great thing for you. You can install it yourself.

If you're not diving deco on a regular basis a zipper in front does great. For me, 40 yrs of age, it's VERY useful! I can p*** just before entering even with all my gear on, and also as soon as I'm out of the water. It's not very motivating to take off at set of doubles and a whole drysuit just because you feel a little needy, so the zipper is perfect for me. Later on I'll even install a p-valve, but I will likely not use it for other than deco dives. It's not very comfortable...

Edit: Sorry, wasn't very precise in my description. I have a back-zip drysuit, but I've installed a short zipper in front which I can open to take a p*** rather quick if I have to. I don't think every "front zip suit" is very suitable for this purpose, unless you have a gymnast's body or some very long "equipement"! :D So my solution works better for me.

I'll post a picture after tonight's dive to show you how my suit is made.

Took me about four beers to suck up the guts to punch the hole. After that it was easy.

don O

I consider a Pee Valve a safety item. I spent a day in the chamber after doing some single tank recreational dives within NDL's because I did several things wrong, the foremost being that I was dehydrated. If you can't pee, you just won't drink as much. If you can, you liquid up and smile with joy at your pee-valve-less buddies and watch them scuttle for the head.

As to location, if you mean the body end, well... I hope you know. :wink:

Rick, just out of interest - how much (or how little) did you actually drink that day?? I am concerned I may end up in the same position as I have a similar profile (drysuit, no p-valve, trying to limit fluid intake but my urine is still clear just before a dive so I think Im well hydrated).

I know hydration levels are different for different people, but thought I would get an idea from you regardles.

Thanks.

Rick, just out of interest - how much (or how little) did you actually drink that day?? I am concerned I may end up in the same position as I have a similar profile (drysuit, no p-valve, trying to limit fluid intake but my urine is still clear just before a dive so I think Im well hydrated).

I know hydration levels are different for different people, but thought I would get an idea from you regardles.

Thanks.
I had 3 cups of strong coffee in the morning and nothing else all day. And I have done this for a few days prior.

Stupid me...:shakehead:

Clear urine is a good sign, but why mess with it? Just get a pee valve and call it good.

If you give up coffee, which you should not be drinking anyway if you dive, and especially not if you dive deco, then the need for the p-valve goes away. Then you can easily vent before and after your dive. And you can always wear a diaper as a back-up, if there is any doubt in your mind.

For a coffee addiction, however, the valve is a fitting (no pun intended) aperture.

If you give up coffee, which you should not be drinking anyway...
Get behind me, devil!

:wink:

if you dive, and especially not if you dive deco, then the need for the p-valve goes away.
Immersion in water causes the feeling of the need to pee, coffee or no. Plus, some of us need to go more often than others, sonny. :D

Whoa - dude, 3 cups of coffee and nothing else?! No wonder!

I am not a big coffee drinker and I dont drink it at all on my dive days. I usually drink small amounts of water at regular intervals before my dives. I usually stop drinking water about an hour and a half before my first dive and then make sure I take a clear piss just before I get on the boat. If it is clear, then all is good. If it is not clear, just add water!

I may install a PV once I sort out some other DS issues.

Thanks for your response.

Best thing I ever bought! I even have one in my back up dry suit. I can drink as much as I want before and between dives and not have to worry about 'holding' it. Also, some of the boats we use at times have no head, so I'd rather use the p-valve.

Installation was very simple and I have had no leaks or other issues with the p-valve. A little routine maintainance is necessary to prevent infections.

Just be courteous to the others around you - try not to be upstream when you let loose.

Just my two cents....Get one and you'll never regret it. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom