Leaky p-valve or…?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the comment. Respectfully, not all pee valves have duck bills. The Diverite low profile one and their regular (older) version have two mushroom valves. One outer and one inner. The earlier version of their new low pro pee valve had some leakage into the suit and they redesigned it to include a dam feature that mitigates that event somewhat. I do think that pressure differential can overcome that feature or the duckbill valve in any pee valve. As to installing a one way check valve QD inline, the one way QD is no longer a check valve once connected. It only seals upon disconnect. A true inline check valve could be used, but you would need to ensure the hose is filled from your junk to the check valve before diving (descending) or a squeeze could result.
Sorry, I mispoke. Yeah, mushroom valve, not duckbill.

I never said QD is check valve once connected, just that it is possible to stop leaking from the hose if you are not connected. The reason I asked if the hose is leaking is that it is possible to have some residual liquid in it and once it gets squashed by your suit it squirts.

I did some dives being wrapped like a sausage due to me playing weighting games and had zero issues from disconnected Trigon P-valve.
Speaking of which, I really should look into how to open it up to check and clean if needed.

Thank you again for clarifying. This is the question: While the diver connected to a balanced pee valve will urine flow into the suit if the suit is squeezed? My answer would be yes although some valves are better than others and it depends on the loft of the undergarment. In Florida caves I wear thinner and I don't get any leakage. In the Great Lakes I wear thick undergarments and experience some leakage since I don't feel the squeeze and there is more volume in the suit. Does this make sense?

TBH, I can't remember if I ever let it rip while being squashed.
But I know that my only leak so far was cath coming off my junk due to me not being vigilant with preparation.
I'll try and do one squashed rip to see if it leaks.

Trigon is easy to take apart, when you remove it from the suit the inside part has the balancing mushroom and if you look at the outside part it has a plastic “C” clip that you can roll out to expose the double exterior mushroom valves.

I would take some pictures but I sitting here with the power knocked out from todays storm, don’t want to use up phone power just yet.
Sorry, I mispoke. Yeah, mushroom valve, not duckbill.

I never said QD is check valve once connected, just that it is possible to stop leaking from the hose if you are not connected. The reason I asked if the hose is leaking is that it is possible to have some residual liquid in it and once it gets squashed by your suit it squirts.

I did some dives being wrapped like a sausage due to me playing weighting games and had zero issues from disconnected Trigon P-valve.
Speaking of which, I really should look into how to open it up to check and clean if needed.has the

So, what's the verdict on the low profile Dive Rite pee valve?

I have never had a leak from either of my Trigon pee valves. But, I just learned of this new DR pee valve. It looks really nice. I like that is machine from Delrin, versus the plastic of the Trigon valve.

It sounds like the internals of the DR are supposed work just like the Trigon. I.e. 2 mushroom valves. One to let pee out and the other to function as a balancing valve, to let air in, as necessary. But, if the actual implementation on the DR allows "blowback" into the suit under some conditions, then that is no bueno. The Trigon has never done that to me, that I've noticed.

I do use a QD fitting on my Trigons that is a "dry break", so when I don't have anything connected to it, no liquid can come through the hose and into my suit.

Back
Top Bottom