Do I need gauges if I use an Air Integrated Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the simplicity of an analogue gauge that relies on simple physics not electricity to work too.

Electricity is pretty simple physics :p

Maybe electronics aren't.

Divers shows have a backup depth and backup timing device for certain. I like the simplicity of an analogue gauge that relies on simple physics not electricity to work too.
Then again i really can't see the point of an AI computer what so ever.

An AI computer decreases the risk of OOA and DCS by screaming when the diver reaches the NDL or the minimum tank pressure.

Even if the diver is oblivious, with any luck it will annoy his buddy enough to take a look.

Terry

I dive with an air integrated computer and a back-up SPG. I like the redundancy, and the time my husband's computer went weird on us, it was certainly nice to have it. I'm not super paranoid about it, but I do like it.

Mod: Shouldn't this be in the Basic Scuba discussions area?

Simple answers:

1. Do you need redundant gauges? No. As long as you get tank pressure (AI); depth; time -- that's the basic stuff.

2. Might you want some redundant gauges? Maybe -- really depends on where/when you dive.

IF you have gone on a diving vacation and your one source of info goes belly up -- you might be SOL. In that case, having a backup might not be such a bad idea. Simple bottom timer plus an SPG could save you lots of aggravation.

Me, I use two AI computers and when on a trip, bring along a bottom timer for backup. Why 2 AI computers? Because my wife hated hers and gave me the 2nd one!

Just purchased my own equipment I picked up 2 Smart Z's new and reasonably priced. Do I need gauges as a back up? Are they required by dive charters? Should I just buy a pressure gauge or get the whole setup including a compass. Pretty new to diving so be gentle!!!

So the OP stated that he bought 2 computers. That sounds like redundancy to me.

Just purchased my own equipment I picked up 2 Smart Z's new and reasonably priced. Do I need gauges as a back up? Are they required by dive charters? Should I just buy a pressure gauge or get the whole setup including a compass. Pretty new to diving so be gentle!!!
I would use a second AI computer. This will give you a backup for not only depth gauge, but everything else your computer does for you. If both of the computers you bought are for yourself (rather than one for a wife or whatever), then you are all set.

Today's air integrated computers are extremely reliable. However, scuba is safe because we plan and train for the "what if" happens. That being said, a full gauge system is not necessary, however a basic pressure gauge is never a bad idea. Is the $60-80 worth it for peace of mind?

One thing to remember. Yes computer batteries die (thats why we check before a trip), but having a complete back up set up analog gauges does not necessarily mean you can continue to dive should your computer fail for any reason. You would still need to be out 24 hours, unless you were keeping track of your dive profile(s) and doing your tables throughout the day, even while diving your computer...otherwise you would not be able to accurately calculate the residual nitrogen in your system and plan for repetitive dives.

Rule of thumb: Maintain your equipment, get servicing and changes batteries before a big trip, or bring spares. Batteries are cheap...your life is not

An AI computer decreases the risk of OOA and DCS by screaming when the diver reaches the NDL or the minimum tank pressure.

Doesn't decrease the risk any more than just looking at a nice analogue gauge. Still not found any dive computer people can sensibly hear when wearing thick hoods in either case.

Id argue they make it more dangerous as they then completely rely on the computer.

Back
Top Bottom