Do I need gauges if I use an Air Integrated Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just purchased my own equipment I picked up 2 Smart Z's new and reasonably priced. Do I need gauges as a back up? Are they required by dive charters? Should I just buy a pressure gauge or get the whole setup including a compass. Pretty new to diving so be gentle!!!

If you are going to use both of the Smart Z's while diving you'll probably never need any other gauges. Even if you use just one during the dive you should be fine. The computers today are very reliable. Just keep an extra battery with you if that computer allows you to change them yourself.

The only time I have ever seen someone have a problem with a computer was my buddy last year in the Caymans. He has one of the wrist mounted computers and If I remember correctly, the Smart Z is a wrist mounted with a transmitter. For some reason his transmitter wasn't working one morning. It had been fine the day before. So he ended up missing one dive. By the time we had surfaced from the first dive that morning he had it fixed. He said something about resetting it. But that's the only time in all my years of diving with computers that I remember a problem. My AI is a Sherwood Wisdom and it's the console type and it's always performed flawlessly.

Someone else said they haven't found a computer that is loud enough with a thick hood on. My wife wears a hood from time to time and she has no problem at all hearing the alarm on her computer. I think her hood is 5ml but I'm not sure. But I'm sure she hears the alarm.

As far as a compass goes, I took mine off years ago and have never missed it. I never used it except for my advanced open water class. For the type of diving I do I don't need it.

BDSC

The OP already bought the computers.

Terry

I meant ....

What if right in the middle of your diving vacation, your computer battery runs out !!

:coffee:

Just purchased my own equipment I picked up 2 Smart Z's new and reasonably priced. Do I need gauges as a back up? Are they required by dive charters? Should I just buy a pressure gauge or get the whole setup including a compass. Pretty new to diving so be gentle!!!

Personally... I do dive an AI computer, and I do have a small SPG as a backup. I however do some deep diving, and some technical diving, so I can't always make a direct ascent to the surface, and would need to know my pressure in the event my computer loses the link to the AI sensor.

Do you need an SPG as a backup? No

Do boats require it? No

If you ARE going to get an SPG as a backup - look at a simple and small SPG - you can find these for like $45 - 60.

If you don't have a compass at all - look at the dive rite SPG with compass - they make a nice compact unit.

Most of these AI computers are pretty reliable these days, and the chances of failure are small, so as long as you keep backup batteries on a long trip with you - you should be good.

Most of these AI computers are pretty reliable these days, and the chances of failure are small, so as long as you keep backup batteries on a long trip with you - you should be good.
I used to think that too - until my computer died on me for no obvious reason (and with only 89 dives on it). A very small failure rate doesn't mean much when YOUR computer is the one that fails. So - for this reason - I now have two computers. If diving on a computer is important to you, and you're making any kind of long/expensive trip to dive, having two is not a bad way to go.

I used to think that too - until my computer died on me for no obvious reason (and with only 89 dives on it). A very small failure rate doesn't mean much when YOUR computer is the one that fails. So - for this reason - I now have two computers. If diving on a computer is important to you, and you're making any kind of long/expensive trip to dive, having two is not a bad way to go.

Dive tables?

Also - Most places where you are doing a long/expensive dive trip would most likely lend you a computer (rent in a worst case) if yours took a crap.

Dive tables?

Also - Most places where you are doing a long/expensive dive trip would most likely lend you a computer (rent in a worst case) if yours took a crap.

Or just BUY one! I sure wouldn't scrub a trip because my computer broke. Of course, I am the guy with a spare regulator, complete with console and octopus. I also like the idea of diving with 2 computers. They don't need to be identical. Maybe my Dive Rite Nitek Duo and the LiquiVision X1 I want to buy.

I WANT an SPG. My computer is not AI but even if it was, I would still want an SPG.

I'm happy enough to move beyond my 20 year old Oceanic console with compass toward an SPG, wrist mounted computer and wrist mounted compass. But I am keeping the console as a spare.

Richard

An AI computer decreases the risk of OOA and DCS by screaming when the diver reaches the NDL or the minimum tank pressure.

Even if the diver is oblivious, with any luck it will annoy his buddy enough to take a look.

Doesn't decrease the risk any more than just looking at a nice analogue gauge. Still not found any dive computer people can sensibly hear when wearing thick hoods in either case.

Id argue they make it more dangerous as they then completely rely on the computer.

What's the difference between looking at a computer v analog gauges? Even if you are deaf and don't hear the computer "screaming" at you, you ARE going to look at it eventually... just like you would analog gauges that don't scream. I'm pretty sure you completely rely on your analog gauges... if not why bother having them?

Ken

I sure wouldn't scrub a trip because my computer broke.

Neither would I...Nor did I say that...

I said... there's always DIVE TABLES

I have 2 computers and an SPG :wink: I'm just giving trying to give sound advice to the OP.

Dive tables?
A). Not real useful without an SPG and B). Like I said - "if diving on a computer is important to you". If it's not, then by all means, use tables.

I'd hate to be on day 2 of a 7-day liveaboard trip and have to ask, "does anyone have a computer I can borrow for the rest of the trip?" when I can easily just bring an extra one with me.

Or just BUY one!
I bought two - and I dive with them. Sure beats taking a chance being out somewhere and hoping that I can buy a replacement (not likely if you're already on the boat), on the spot, at whatever price someone cares to charge me.

Hey, if you don't like the idea of diving with 2 - then don't do it. I was just offering a suggestion to the OP regarding gauges and AI computers that I thought would be helpful.

I carry spare batteries but I'm not really too worried about that - doesn't hurt but any modern computer has a pretty reliable battery indicator and should give you plenty of warning if the battery is fading. It's likely at the point it starts to indicate low you can finish your average trip or dive series just fine.

The trouble with swapping batteries, or with getting a loaner if your computer craps out, is that it may not help you much for subsequent dives. Depends on the computer whether it remembers your previous information if the battery dies and is changed. If you get a loaner obviously it knows nothing about your previous dives. So it's not like you can take a loaner computer and just start diving with it right away. Thus the incentive to dive with a backup computer from the start on a long and expensive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom