Do I need gauges if I use an Air Integrated Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the point is, dive with what you feel safe with. If you know your J valve pinches your air at 400PSI, then maybe you don't need a SPG.

How odd you should bring up the J valve. Just for giggles, I bought one off eBay yesterday. I am also considering a double hose regulator. Now if I can find an oval mask I'll be all set.

If it worked for Mike Nelson, it'll work for me! No BCD, no gauges, no clutter, just a tank, regulator, mask and fins. And that big dive knife.

I wonder what the other divers would say...

Richard

How odd you should bring up the J valve. Just for giggles, I bought one off eBay yesterday. I am also considering a double hose regulator. Now if I can find an oval mask I'll be all set.

If it worked for Mike Nelson, it'll work for me! No BCD, no gauges, no clutter, just a tank, regulator, mask and fins. And that big dive knife.

I wonder what the other divers would say...

Richard

Dude, plenty of us dive FULL vintage gear. I dive a US Divers mistral, a mariner tank pack (as in NO BC), an oval mask, full foot fins, a huge dive knife, and the whole nine. Go to Vintage Double Hose if you want more information or parts for vintage stuff. It's an amazing way to dive!

Dude, plenty of us dive FULL vintage gear. I dive a US Divers mistral, a mariner tank pack (as in NO BC), an oval mask, full foot fins, a huge dive knife, and the whole nine. Go to Vintage Double Hose if you want more information or parts for vintage stuff. It's an amazing way to dive!
It only counts if you drive to the dive site in a Model-T :)

Back on track-

Want redundancy enough to continue to dive that day if the really nice AI fails?

Buy a wrstwatch style computer and an inexpensive SPG. Dive both comptuers: (wristwatch, in my case a Stinger) and the AI computer (in my case a ProPlus II for my AL80 singles diving, my heavy doubles diving is somewhat different). Obey the most conservative computer (don't bend either computer). If the IA fails unscrew it from the first stage and screw on the SPG, continue vacation on the wristwatch computer and SPG.

Absolutely, definately, no question you should have a mechanical gauge. And you should compare the readings throughout the dive.

As a dive boat captain, I see all kinds of crazy equipment, but no mechanical gauge is one of the worst.

I have been following this thread - My air integrated computer has pressure and time left to dive. I also dive with a backup pressure gauge hanging off my second HP port.

Several week ago my AI Computer failed after a dive - The computer ended the dive showing air pressure of 5100lbs. It's now winging its way to repair.

Point to note is that AI computers can fail high and worst case is if you follow your time left to dive, you could get yourself into a messy situation. I'm diving with a non AI computer now and going forward I will likely use my AI computer in gauge mode with its built in compass. I don't need AI.

Dive smart.

Dwayne

Last edited:
I dive with an air-integrated, hoseless computer, but also have an SPG and watch. I've never had an underwater computer failure, but feel that the greatest uncertainty comes from the pressure transmitter on the tank. My goal with this set-up was to have as streamlined a set-up as possible. In warm water (no dry suit hose), there is only the low pressure line to my BC, primary hose to the second stage and SPG. If you plan the dive ahead of time, then this gives all the back-up you should need.

I've never had an underwater computer failure, but feel that the greatest uncertainty comes from the pressure transmitter on the tank.

As a recommendation, I would throw a spare SPG on a HP hose in your dive bag.

This is just me, but I plan all my dives on tables and carry a watch in addition to my computer. I don't dive an extra SPG, because I don't want a bunch of extra gear on me. If my computer breaks, which it never has, I have my NDL time written on my slate and my tables in my pocket. My watch is set, so I know how long I have been down. I always plan my dive with a turn pressure and a rock bottom, so if my computer went suddenly crazy, I'd have more than enough gas to do a safe ascent with my buddy.

I understand those of you who dive a computer AND a spg, but I don't and that works for me. If I was a comm diver, then I'd have a bunch of extra redundancy, but I'm not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom