Do I need to take open water course again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is a great opportunity for the Instructor to teach your daughter and you how to be an effective buddy team....I would request this when you sign up....

There are advantages and disadvantages to this. Peter actually often tries to break up couples and parent-child pairs, so that both people learn to be independent, and so you don't get the phenomenon where the adult can't learn because they're so busy being vigilant over the child.

If you can audit the class and save a little money that would be good. Spending some time to refresh your skills and get updated on anything new since you were last diving.

Like others have said you will probably find that some of your skills are rusty and you might have forgotten part of the theory that is diving's safety foundation. But you will also be setting a good example for your daughter by taking (even if auditing) the class togeather.

Speaking as a father with a daughter, your daugter is 14, your time with her is only going to get more limited as she grows. Diving is one of those things that my daughter and I still are able to share...and I would trade it for anything.:banana::banana::banana:

~Michael~

There are advantages and disadvantages to this. Peter actually often tries to break up couples and parent-child pairs, so that both people learn to be independent, and so you don't get the phenomenon where the adult can't learn because they're so busy being vigilant over the child.
My take on this ( from many dozens of posts I have read) is that Peter offers a very high level of instruction, to everyone he teaches....

We have no idea what the grade or quality level will be of this woman's instructor...What I am thinking is that with the average/mediocre open water class the woman "may have taken before", and the class the daughter would be taking now....the "idea" of buddy skills may be introduced by this request, whereas otherwise, it may be only "follow the instructor/group leader" and stay near the person you are tasked at staying near ( what I am saying is that normally they don't really teach the ow student to be a buddy, they teach them to stay somewhere near another diver...)

I would hire an instructor to do some dives with for a few days. No need to go to all the expense of a complete course again. Wasted money.

If you have been away from diving for that long of a period it would good for you to do the refresher course while your daughter is in the OW class as for the reasons stated in previous posts. It will be fun for you and your daughter and with the regained knowledge you become a safer diver. Regaining your buouancy control techinques, re-learning your equipment and regaining confidence in your diving skills will make your dive more enjoyable also. Continuing your education as an Advanced Diver (after the refresher course) is a great idea for you and your daughter. Have a great time. Having family to enjoy diving with is a great thing!

I agree with the posters on the OW class. As another option I would say that at a minimum do a refresher, You may be able to do this on the same session as your daughters pool dives. Also, you may be able to do AOW dives along with your daughters OW dives. You would not be on the same teams, but still on the same boat...... pay attention, things have changed. After I took a decade off I am still amazed at how slow the ascents are now.

I agree with the posters on the OW class. As another option I would say that at a minimum do a refresher, You may be able to do this on the same session as your daughters pool dives. Also, you may be able to do AOW dives along with your daughters OW dives. You would not be on the same teams, but still on the same boat...... pay attention, things have changed. After I took a decade off I am still amazed at how slow the ascents are now.

I did take a refresher course three years ago when planning on diving in Sierra Leone. I don't think I really need another OW course. The shop did offer me to go to the pool when my daughter's class is on and practice my skills which I am going to do. I was thinking of taking her in one month to do her open water dives in the Caribbean. While there I could probably hire a divemaster to babysit me and see how I am doing.

I did take a refresher course three years ago when planning on diving in Sierra Leone. I don't think I really need another OW course. The shop did offer me to go to the pool when my daughter's class is on and practice my skills which I am going to do. I was thinking of taking her in one month to do her open water dives in the Caribbean. While there I could probably hire a divemaster to babysit me and see how I am doing.

How about you reread the OW manual your daughter gets(get it in advance so you can both work on it) and do some guided dives or the scuba review course yourself.
I wouldn't involve yourself with your daughters course, allow her to experience it without you as distraction or false confidence. At 44 dives, including your course dives, dispersed through many years, I wouldn't imagine your able to make any useful critique on her diving, especially how your wondering if you should do your OWC again- leave that to a well experienced, professional instructor.

Predicated on the fact that you had the confidence to plan to dive in S/L I believe that the best thing for you to do is to take a SCUBA Review, then do the AOW course... I just read the PADI SCUBA Review Workbook last night and was pleasantly surprised with the contents.

I also believe that you having one cert level above your daughter can be a good thing.

Cheers,
Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom