Do I need to take open water course again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I witnessed a diver who had been certified nearly 20 years earlier. They were planning on going somewhere to dive and wanted to get a refresher course before they did. Probably a good thing they did because despite the fact that she had dove avidly years earlier she apparently over the 20 year period of non diving lost her ability to do simple skills like mask flooding. She tried and tried and tried but it just would not work.

What you have to remember is over time lots of things change that seem minor as we witness it.

One really way to notice this is to watch movies like Jaws and the scene where divers were going in and you will notice a variety of modern no nos. Regs with no octos, Horse Collar style floatation devices and the list goes on. Just imagine what all has changed since you got certified :)

Also let us know where your located. You may be able to get some advice based on your location. Lots of instructors are on here and may be able to tailor something for the 2 of you!

I agree that you should take it. Your prior experience is IMO not substantial enough to bridge your hiatus. On top of that you are taking on a big responsibility and being comparably trained is a huge advantage.

I will also urge you to take rescue diver training ASAP. With NAUI (and another agency?) you can do so right after OW. Your fresh OW training and prior exposure will put you in a good place for this. Being rescue diver trained will do a lot to keep both of you safe. The course is largely about incident/accident prevention.

Pete

Also let us know where your located. You may be able to get some advice based on your location. Lots of instructors are on here and may be able to tailor something for the 2 of you!

I am located in Waterloo which is South Western Ontario.

I have not been diving in 12 years. In 2009 I took a refresher pool course because I was planning on diving in Sierra Leone due to work. Unfortunately I did not get the opportunity to actually dive in SL. I only have 44 logged dives and am Nitrox certified. I have dove Fiji, off Vancouver Island and the Brother Islands in the Red Sea. Deepest dive 140 feet. The reason I am mentioning all this is for reference/baseline purposes.

My 14 year old daughter is taking an open water course now and I want to start diving together. Any suggestions on whether I need to take the open water diver training again? I don't think so but want to be a safe diver and buddy with my daughter. I was thinking that I should take an advanced open water course and couple that with some easier Caribbean diving and quarry diving followed by diving in Tobermory once I get more comfortable with diving again. Any opinions?

I see this scenario quite often at my shop. We often end up taking the certified diver with us to the pool and they do the full skills circuit with their friends / kids. Then we asses their level and we agree as to whether they need anything further. They usually end up on the OW dives 1 through 4 anyway, so its not really that much different to doing the OW class again. Whether you call it OW, a refresher with guided dives or whatever, its all very similar. Just depends if you need to redo the academic sections or not.

Also - would your daughter benefit from your support during the class? If she is apprehensive it might be good for her to hear you say "Oh, I cant remember any of it, it was so long ago. Lets do the whole thing together and I 'll learn again with you!"

Good luck!

I am in a similar situation as the OP, except I had less dives, though the time frame on hiatus is about the same. I've done a lot of snorkeling in the last 4 years due to traveling, and I want to experience diving again. My g/f is going to get her O/W this year, probably with Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catharines, ON. So I may see if they'll do this audit thing, or I'll inquire as to how in depth their referesher is.

I am also planning on my AOW, as well as my rescue diver in the future.

I would do the training over with your daughter. It will be fun and a great way to spend time with her. You did say that you want to dive together, here you chance.

Enjoy the training!

My experience is similar to Jeff's; certified NAUI in 1971. Stopped diving in 1981. My wife and I got certified OW through PADI in September. I took the attitude I was a brand new diver. The skills are similar, but the technology is very different. Some procedures have changed. The physics are pretty much the same. By taking the "n00b" attitude, my wife learned WITH me, and I had nothing to prove to her, the instructor or myself. Then we take the Nitrox class and she outscores me, lol.

Sierra Leone, huh? Never considered that as a diving area

I lived in Tanzania from 1978-80 and went to school with the kids of the man who later became the president of Sierra Leone (Kabbah).

I try to return to Tanzania every year for a few months where my landrover and I seek out and prey on tourists and take them into Selous game reserve and other parks.

Hopefully next time I go back I will get the chance to dive in Zanzibar. Almost did my o/w in Mombasa.

I was thinking that I should take an advanced open water course and couple that with some easier Caribbean diving and quarry diving followed by diving in Tobermory once I get more comfortable with diving again. Any opinions?

Sounds like a plan.

if you live near a quarry you should try and dive more often just for keeping in touch with those skills.

Back
Top Bottom