Do I really need a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 2/3mm shorty, a full 3mm, a full 5mm and a 2 piece 7mm suit.
I have a 7/5mm hood and a 3mm cap.
I have 5mm and skin gloves.
Add a Dry suit to that with a light weight thermal and a heavy weight thermal.

If you look in your dresser I'm sure you also have more than one weight of cloths.
Think of a wet suit like cloths. You need the correct clothing for the conditions.
You will need a wet suit. And if you have over 100 dives under your belt you should be well aware of that I would think. Even if you don't get cold, wear a skin suit, those jelly fish tend to hurt.

I don't dive in less an a 5mm full in Hawaii, my husband wears a 3mm full with a 3mm vest on top, but we dive everyday.

For me, exposure protection is as much as warmth as it is protection from the elements. That include coral and volcanic rock scrapes, as well as critters like fire coral and jellies. Yes, I have good buoyancy control, but I've been pushed into rock and coral by both newbie divers and by unexpected surge or surf.

Wow, thanks for all the replies.
I would say that my tolerance against cold water is pretty good.
Since I am going to be diving for just one day (diving isn't my prime objective) I think I should be fine. In any case I will just ask my dive shop to prepare one for me on hand.
If I was doing a 5 day dive trip then this thread wouldn't appear.

Renting a 3mm suit is a good idea.

Skin temperature is in the low 90's. Any water of lower temp is going to be sucking heat out of your body, and the current 75-76F temps in Maui are a good 15 degrees lower than skin temperature, even though 75F may sound toasty warm to someone looking at frozen lakes.

Newer divers are generally moving around in the water a lot more, generating a lot more internal body heat. Newer divers also tend to have shorter dives.

OTOH, an experienced diver that doesn't have a lot of extra movement, particularly a photography or someone else is is hanging around motionless a lot is going to chill faster. Experienced divers also tend to have longer bottom times.

3mm is a good starting point for exposure protection in Hawaii. Many dive charters will provide wetsuits, and 3mm suits are the most common ones in rental pools at dive shops.

Charlie Allen

Unless the water is 98.6 degrees, you are losing body heat. Can you do a dive in 75-80 degree water e/o a wetsuit? The answer is yes, but remember the trade offs. If you are chilled, your air consumption is tanks. Sure, dive in board shorts and enjoy a 30 min dive (or a 45 min dive in a 3mm).

We were in Hawaii (Big Island) in January for a dive vacation (2 dives/day). Water temp was 78F. My girlfriend was just right in her 5mm, while I was definitely cold in my 3/2 - until the charter loaned me a beanie that made a huge difference, but even then, I went out and bought an extra polypropylene undersuit. By the way, my shorty never saw any water on that trip...

Now, we regularly dive in quarries and lakes, so we're pretty good with the cold (you have to be, living in Montreal!) If I were returning to Hawaii around the same time, I'd bring my 5mm wetsuit with me, no question.

Phil

That's a no brainer....Speedo's @ the most & your underwear if money is extremely tight....Of course there is one more( & it's actually less) option, but I'm betting you don't hit the water with that look................................................................Get a 3 mil & end all doubt...........

maxboost:
Wow, thanks for all the replies.
I would say that my tolerance against cold water is pretty good.
Since I am going to be diving for just one day (diving isn't my prime objective) I think I should be fine. In any case I will just ask my dive shop to prepare one for me on hand.
If I was doing a 5 day dive trip then this thread wouldn't appear.

You know renting a wetsuit is an option. If you don't regularly use one, just rent one at the dive op you are going with. Problem solved.

With over 100 dives logged you should know by now if you need a wetsuit or not.
But if your still not sure at least consider that if its not for maintaining your body temperature, get one for protection against jelly fish, fire coral...etc.
I dive in 80+/- degrees and I bought a 3/2mm suit after my first 6 or 7 dives with only a rash guard to protect me, since it was not enough.
Your call!

I just noticed the first reference to Fire Coral, Jellyfish and the such. This is my main drive for buying a full 3/2 for my upcoming Cancun trip. This point was also driven home recently on the Medical section of this board by a diver that was on a wreck. He cut his finger (I'm assuming with no gloves) and as a result he has some weird bumps growing under his skin now. I may be over doing it, and I may be the only guy with a full suit on the boat the July, but I'm not taking any chances. :wink:

Scott T

Back
Top Bottom