Wetsuits, how many do you need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your location either means high cold tolerance or high heat humidity tolerance. I always use a 3mm full suit in the tropics of the stretch variety so it is effective and comfortable. Handles any incidental coral exposure or jellies exposure. I used 5mm suit when in low 70s but that is cool for tropics. I use 7mm wetsuit in cold water because I dont dive enough in the ice chest to warrant dry suit cost.

I don't think one suite will fit all diving unless all that diving is done in one area of the world. I have several suits for different temperatures but all are full suits no matter what temperature for protection as mentioned above. I also bring a 2mm vest I can use to layer with any suit if I get cold on multiple dive days. Also wetsuits are disposable and will compress as you use them and will need to be replaced. My cold tolerance gets lees the older I get so now for tropical diving I have pretty much settled on my 5mm suit. You don't want to chase the warm as it is easier to let water in and cool down.
My suits:
3mm full suit - 85F+
5mm full suit - 70-85F
8mm full suit with attached hood - 50-70F
Dry suit below 50F

It depends on temperatures, how frequently you dive, and budget.

For the most part, I'm a "one wetsuit" diver, and have a 5mm. I either wear no-wetsuit, or the 5mm. That's worked plenty well for me, across a few hundred dives. More recently, I also got some 3mm wetsuit-shorts and a hooded vest , which I can layer under the main wetsuit, although I've only used them a couple times. I could also just wear those shorts and vest, but for some reason haven't bothered.

Having multiple wetsuits is usually about convivence, budget, or diving very cold temperatures. For very-cold though, you may be looking at dry-suits.

Having multiple wetsuits is usually about convivence, budget, or diving very cold temperatures. For very-cold though, you may be looking at dry-suits.
It's also about time. The longer you are a diver, the more likely you will pick up a new suit for a new situation rather than use the old one you have that is a bit worn but still usable The cost of thermal gear is not so great if you spread it out over time. I just took a trip down memory lane and estimate that I have owned 9 wetsuits and 3 drysuits over the years. Five of the wetsuits are hanging in my closet, although some have not been used in many years.

I'm down to 3 wetsuits only one gets used with any sense of regularity.

I forgot to mention that I also have a hooded vest that has never been used on a dive. I would happily sell it cheap. You can read about it here.

It's also about time. The longer you are a diver, the more likely you will pick up a new suit for a new situation rather than use the old one you have that is a bit worn but still usable The cost of thermal gear is not so great if you spread it out over time. I just took a trip down memory lane and estimate that I have owned 9 wetsuits and 3 drysuits over the years. Five of the wetsuits are hanging in my closet, although some have not been used in many years.
How well do unused wetsuits hold up over time? I know the neoprene can break down, but I haven't been diving long enough, or had enough wetsuits, to see the slower effects of time itself vs wear and tear.

I have a Hollis 7/8/9 hooded semi dry for Puget Sound diving and a 2mm jump suit for surface activities on the sound. I take the 2mm with me when traveling to warm locations as a just in case. I have a good heat generator so I'm generally not cold easily. I dive in board shorts and a rash guard long T in Hawaii down to 35m with no issue. The water when I purge my semi dry is steaming when I get out of the sound.

How well do unused wetsuits hold up over time? I know the neoprene can break down, but I haven't been diving long enough, or had enough wetsuits, to see the slower effects of time itself vs wear and tear.
My wife is a snorkeler. When we went to Cozumel a couple of weeks ago, she took the thin wetsuit she got for a trip to Australia in 2002, where she snorkeled the outer Great barrier Reef. She has used it on trips maybe 7-8 times over those 20 years. It's still fine.

You mentioned locations but didn't say anything about their temperatures., or your tolerance or lack of to those temperatures.

If I really want to be comfortable, I need different thermal protection for every couple degrees. In my area that translates to changes every 5-7 weeks.

Agree with boulderjohn no shorties, full suits always.

I start with rash-guard thin material at the warmest time 85F, from there I'll start adding thin vests and or hood, polartec skin, then hood and vest again, same combination but with a 1mm suit, until it goes to 79 when is time for the 3mm, then add more stuff, until it goes down to 75 brrrrrr I hate those months, that requires a 5mm

Below 70-72 needs a dry suit or just wait a couple of weeks until it warms up a little. No more real cold for me, been there and did enough shivering for a lifetime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom