Do I really need to log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends what you want to get out of your log. Some folks, like me, want to know every detail of a dive site, their weight, temps, etc for years after the dive. In fact, I've answered questions on SB simply by looking at dives done years ago. If you really believe you will never need the information again, then do as suggested above. Log just enough needed for certifications. For myself, I really enjoy going over my comments from years ago to see how I've changed.

I hate logging dives but realize the importance of logging. I was diving Jupiter FL after 4 years and needed to know things like temperature, visibility, the exposure protection I used etc.

My log told me that I used 3 mm and would have been better if I had used 5 instead. It also told me that I used AL 80 but should have used AL 100 instead. It also told me that there was this dive buddy in Jupiter that I dove with and I had taken down his email. I sent him an email and scheduled my dives with him. I am a big believer in detailed logging though it bores me it as much as the next person.

I quit logging after my 275 dive. I've come to regret that decision if for no other reason than I only know that I have 600+ dives and not true count. Sure I know how many dives I do per year "generally" but that only gets me close to real tally. I do have a little book that I use to keep track of who I'll be tipping at the end of my dive vacations throughout the year and sometimes I'll also jot down if something particularly cool came by on any of the particular dives. And most certainly make note if a crew member went above and beyond the call in anyway. I've pretty much got my weight requirements and gas use down, so don't really need to log that either. None of this is intended to suggest that I don't think you should log. :) use your computer, let it do the work, download and create your spread sheet. Wouldn't you like to know exactly how many dives you've done at any given point in time?

No one has ever asked me to present my log book, despite that I carried it around with ne for a few years until I quit logging. At that time I had a computer that could save 99 dives and I replaced it with another that did the same and then I got an Oceania that rolls over at 25 IIRC. And so on and so on.

I'm OCD and log dives on an Excel spreadsheet. I've noticed that I enter more information the more I learn.. for instance, I've been playing with the amount of weight I use, so the last 10 dives all have notes about the amount of weight, exposure suit, and air at safety stop and surface. I think that after a while longer I won't feel the need to be so detailed, but at this point I do. I'll probably always log the basics though; dive site, depth, time, and anything really cool I saw/did.

I stopped logging after 100 dives, too much of a bother.

When I show up at a dive charter with my well worn cave diving equipment I don't get asked for my log book.

Also, the number of dives does not tell everything. Its hard to equate 200 rec dives lasting 45 minutes to 50 tech dives lasting 180 minutes.

I figure I have spent more than one month underwater as of last week

Although logging dives is your choice, it is a learning tool and your reference for future dives/sites/buddies. At this time you have a few classes in mind for the near future, but a few years from now that goal may change to something that requires you show not only a minimum number for dives, but also night, deep, etc.

And just when you have thousands of dives and don't think logs are necessary, you move onto something new like cave diving where both the NSS-CDS and the NACD award Safe Cave Diver Awards based on safe logged dives.

Personally, I just download my computers and fill in some of the additional fields about the dive site/gear, etc.

I logged my first 4 dives thru certification. That was in 1981. I logged one more in 2007 and had it signed to avoid doing a "check-up" dive b4 a morning dive at a different operator on Curacao that required it.

I put everything in diverecord.com periodically. Which I guess is technically logging them also. It outputs an Excel summary format also. Since most places I dive have Internet access, I could show it if asked. I never have been except that once.

IDK about Fundies but PPB only requires you to be OW. Rescue requires:
To enroll in the PADI Rescue Diver course, you must

Be 12 years or older
Have a PADI Adventure Diver certification (or have a qualifying certification from another organization)
Be trained and current for first aid and CPR within the previous two years (Ask your instructor about Emergency First Response CPR and first aid courses).
Click the course name here for links to requirements for any of them. http://www.padi.com/scuba/padi-courses/diver-level-courses/default.aspx

Last edited:
FWIW: I find a log helpful in keeping track of equipment configurations. My log entries vary in quality over the years & when I go back to look at them I wish I'd written more.

Depends on your situtation.I do not dive on any boat not owned or rented by me or a friend.I have gone as far as I want in training(Tri-Mix) and haven't logged in years.I do keep a running total in my head and normally post it on SB,it runs 300-400 per year.I do log the conditions and sites and any extarordinary features.I wear a go-pro at times and take my phone to chronicle new wrecks or finds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom