Do I really need to log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive log is a excell generated sheet in a binder. Untill i got my master card i was always asked for my log book when booking boats. The book is good for documenting your dives for courses that say you need 50 logged dives to get this certification. Granted that there is a point that count no longer has benifit. Anyone who would ask about a log book in not in that group. I keep notes about oocations, weighting, ect so i can use it later. Ie this dive needed 4 lb more weight than in local waters. weighting for my 3/2 sahorty, lavacore,, dry suit with 100g undergarment and 300g undergarment. 30 ft thermocline in june, dive shop is a rip off. ect. stamps are just gravey. For some of us ...... what weighting did i need when use to be 20lb lighter as i just lost weight. Logs are usefull. If you dive with me i would have your contact info so we could dive again. Every dive i try to do something that is training related like photography, bouyancy, deep ect. There are some agencies that will take you log info as proof demonstration. Ie i got my boat diving card because i passed the test and had logged several boat dives. The instructor des not have to witness your ability to jump and climb a ladder.

I still log my dives, although over the years, I've lost some. I find it very useful to go back to logged dives in conditions other than my home waters, and be able to look up what exposure protection I used and how much weight it took, and where I put it.

I make it a point to log every dive. I use it to keep track of gear configuration including weight for given water type and exposure suit.

I also try to take good notes of headings I have shot and things I have found and seen along the way, use this myself when I want to go back to something or when divers that are new to the area ask where there is something cool to see, I can go back into my log and find something that interests them and give a good bearing to shoot to get right to it.

As I am also at a location with multiple sites for dives with varying visibility, depth, and current conditions it is useful to be able to pull the log out on to decide where to go, having the visibility, current, and surf conditions listed in my logs as well as the times gives a good indication of what to expect at any of the given locations.

On a strictly OCD note I also always figure my pressure groups and put them in my log even though I am diving on a computer. I log that part as soon as I get out of the water and figure my repetitive dive based on the more conservative between computer and dive table. I figure the redundancy never hurts.

I forgot to add that I once had to show my dive log for a job interview. Showing them my dive computer history wasn't enough. I popped open my laptop. They were thorough. I did get the job and was there for 2 yrs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I must say I'm jealous of you folk that have such easy access to your chosen dives. :)

I rarely put anything in there about equipment--exposure suit, etc. I know what I'll wear when I check the water temp. I have a separate list of weightings, but don't use that either, as it's not rocket science to memorize 2 or 3 weightings. I do find it a bit helpful, or at least interesting to check back and see what the water temp. was this time last year. I do also still put in the pressure groups even though a majority of my dives are 30' or less shore dives. Can't do that with a true (deeper) multi level computer dive, so I just note it as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom