Do Lobsters Feel Pain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did someone say Lobster? I also need butter with that please!

Do We Really Care
Some people have way to much time on their hands.
Let's go Ice Diving and see if we turn blue

You'll never be able to figure that question out, so don't worry and enjoy lobster. Or, be like my wife, and go into the other room when I drop 'em in the pot! I'm gettin' hungry!

LobstaMan

bluewatertoy:
Do We Really Care
Some people have way to much time on their hands.
Let's go Ice Diving and see if we turn blue

I'm not PC, or even a vegetarian, in fact I've scoffed probably more than my fair share of bugs but it sure seems to me that it doesn't hurt to try to be humane.

Since they have a central nervous system, they undoubtedly feel pain. Don't screw about; just snuff'em and eat'em.

The faster you cook 'em, the faster you get to eat 'em!

mmmmmmmmmmm lobster!!!!!

Living in the prairies, you don't get them all that fresh............I'm hungry just thinking about it!

I have a feeling that the "escape mechanism" (as opposed to death throes) is less severe when dropped in a pot of cold water as opposed to boiling. I wonder what is the difference with the boiling water that activates the escape mechanism...

That is an easy one ....... Sh** is HOT !!!!!!!!

They are used to the cold water and yes Florida and the Keys are cold compared to boiling water

You really have to wonder why somebody in a University setting is so concerned about whether or not a lobster feels pain when so many other problems need to be solved...

Bottom line -

1. If you think cooking a lobster causes it pain then don't eat lobster.

2. Don't judge someone because they don't mind enjoying a lobster - without regard to the method of execution

3. In my case...pass the butter...

Pain is just evolution telling all living things to avoid the thing that is painful or else it might kill you so of course lobsters feel "pain" of some sort. It still doesn't make me think twice about eating them.

StingRob:
The same they said about fish many years back... now fish are 'capable of experiencing pain'. Go figure.

A bunch of GREEN scientists did a study, and came the the *surprise* conclusion that fish DO feel pain (we are NOT talking Mammals).

While I have ZERO clue about what fish feel, I do believe that studies that work on a predetermined conclusion are not going to be very accurate. I'm NOT alone in this, and while the study may have discovered that fish have some sensitivity in their mouth, and fact that they have no connection between that and their brain would indicate that they do NOT feel pain. If you doubt this ability, try some drugs. It's a VERY common practice to seperate woman from Pain during childbirth for example.

I have personally witnessed this in action, and can verify that in fact if one seperates nerves from the brain, the pain goes away....

ron

Back
Top Bottom