Do Lobsters Feel Pain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rotflmao, decapoddiver, that was very hypocritical of her(assuming she wasn't eating a veggie burger which you mistook for a big mac).

It does bother me to boil lobsters alive, but I try to do it as fast as possible without "suspending them over the pot" as MSilvia does :)

Also, when I catch fish and I keep it I always kill it immediately and put it on ice by slicing the brain from the spine and piercing the brain (second is harder to do as locating it can be hard).

>> I've been trying to market my screenplay for "Silence of the Lobsters" to Hollywood for years.

LOL LOL LOL

Thanks for this post, Tom - just about killed me.

Chebby:
It does bother me to boil lobsters alive, but I try to do it as fast as possible without "suspending them over the pot" as MSilvia does :).

I make a point of never holding them there any longer than it takes me to divulge my evil plans for global conquest to them in excruciating detail. That's only fair. :wink:

MSilvia:
I make a point of never holding them there any longer than it takes me to divulge my evil plans for global conquest to them in excruciating detail. That's only fair. :wink:

Ahh...this way they cut the rope themselves! Brilliant!

I was dating a chef some years ago and she told me how she killed lobsters with the knife behind the brain for baked stuff lobsters, etc. I was thinking this may be a more humane way to kill them. I did it once and I was traumatized - ha ha. Stuff squirted all over me and the kitchen and this thing flopped around for several minutes afterward. Perhaps I missed the correct spot but from what I read/was told I was right there. Oh my God I felt like I really just murdered this thing in a cruel and unusual way.

"Mysterious Hot Tub" accidents are definitely my preferred means to convert my lobster into dinner.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I was dating a chef some years ago and she told me how she killed lobsters with the knife behind the brain for baked stuff lobsters, etc.
Yeah... you try to get them in the brain as a starting point for splitting the tails, but they keep kicking for a while afterward anyhow. Boiling seems a lot more humane to me too.

I feel much better now :wink:

shellbird:
Not according to an article I just read in The Week

It reads:

Lobster lovers can crack open those claws without guilt. Despite all their thrashing around in the cooking pot, it's highly unlikely that lobsters and other crustaceans feel pain, says a Norwegian government study. Scientists at the University of Oslo examined the pain capacities of crustaceans and other invertebrates and found that their primitive nervous systems appeared incapable of registering pain. the death throes of the lobster are probably an instinctive "escape mechanism," nota conscious reaction to pain, researchers tell the Associated Press. Animal activists have long claimed that it's agonizing for lobsters to be dropped into boiling water and cooked to death. Buth the Norwegian study supports previous findings that lobsters lack the brain capacity to process pain. "It's a semantic thing," says biologist Mike Loughlin. "No brain, no pain."
I avoid the entire guilt trip regarding lobsters feeling pain. Since my Dr. says no because they are too high in cholesterol I end up giving them to my neighbor. The side benefit-----I haven't had to shovel my sidewalks all winter...he does it (or his son) as a repayment! God I love to dive...LOL!

shellbird:
I know I'm off subject but how's the skiing in CO this year? The east coast has been great! You coming out this way to ski?

I LOVE powder, and have had one such day.

The sking is very good in CO this year, and can be one of those once in a lifetime trips if one hit's it right which is based entirely on LUCK and Money. If you have the money to come out and stay two weeks, it's VERY likely you will be lucky and get a couple powder days in.

We are getting snow often, and the temps in general has not been too cold. Those two factors combined with the right day = VERY EX+++++ Ski days.

I have not been out as often as I'd like. I think old man time is kicking my ***** a bit. I just don't have the energy I once did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom