Do Lobsters Feel Pain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
A bunch of GREEN scientists did a study, and came the the *surprise* conclusion that fish DO feel pain (we are NOT talking Mammals).

While I have ZERO clue about what fish feel, I do believe that studies that work on a predetermined conclusion are not going to be very accurate. I'm NOT alone in this, and while the study may have discovered that fish have some sensitivity in their mouth, and fact that they have no connection between that and their brain would indicate that they do NOT feel pain. If you doubt this ability, try some drugs. It's a VERY common practice to seperate woman from Pain during childbirth for example.

I have personally witnessed this in action, and can verify that in fact if one seperates nerves from the brain, the pain goes away....

ron

I know I'm off subject but how's the skiing in CO this year? The east coast has been great! You coming out this way to ski?

RonFrank:
I have personally witnessed this in action, and can verify that in fact if one seperates nerves from the brain, the pain goes away....

i believe i am unanimous in this, but THANK GOD for that!

but you know, seriously, i don't think this "no brain no pain" works. if that were
the case, Ozzy Osbourne and his progeny would be immune to anything short of
a direct nuclear strike... and yet they are a bunch of cry-babies who whine at
the slightest pin-prick.

I love Ozzy...

well that's ok. some people love Spare Air.

hey, i didn't know there was going to be a quiz ...

but let's see... hmmmm... i love this board!

I don't know if an animal with an exoskeleton that can drop parts of it's body to escape from predators would experience pain in the way we think of it, but if their behavior is affected by water temperature, I think it's safe to assume they can sense that. That being the case, I'd bet they can tell for damn sure that boiling water is way hotter than they like. I've yet to see a bug suspended over the pot who just relaxed and plopped in.

Man, I'm getting hungry again.

Stop It!! I can't stand it anymore! I might be forced into going to the fish market and actually buying a lobster! Aaaaah!

LobstaMan

I don't think anyone worries too much about immersing crustaceans in boiling water. I've been trying to market my screenplay for "Silence of the Lobsters" to Hollywood for years. It's a really beautiful story about a girl who joins the IRS Behavioral Studies Unit to figure out why people don't like paying their taxes. She has nightmares from her youth about her dad who used to run a clam shack - steaming live clams and lobsters, shucking raw oysters - truly the stuff of nightmares. I even put in a sidebar plot about seaweed for the vegan audience. Then there's a serial non-taxpayer creepy guy who forces other people not to pay their taxes.
It's really quite moving; the fact that it's not in production is a sad testament to the failure of Hollywood to give the American viewing public the quality motion pictures they deserve...

so do all the other living things we eat.

A few years ago I stopped at a McDonalds on the way back from duck hunting. A customer noticed my camo clothing and asked me if I had been hunting. I said I had and she said quite pointedly "How can you kill an innocent deer?!" I told her I had been hunting ducks and that I don't personally hunt deer. She said "It's still a living creature. You should be ashamed!" and then took another bite of her Big Mac :wink:

Some people are just very nieve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom