Do Nitrox tanks need re-cleaned after Visual?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
If I've got a set of Nitrox tanks and I take them in for their yearly visual inspection, do they need "re-cleaned" for O2 each year or after any visual ?

What are the "standards" for this type of thing?

-mike

Both the tank and valve should be re-cleaned yearly, most people get it done at the same time as the visual to avoid complications.
This allows the inspector to but a 02 safe visual sticker on right away.

Your "o2 clean" service sticker is good up to the next hydro; but I prefer to re-clean and service my valves at every visual, and the tank if it looks amiss in any way.

hmm.... while both these answers say that you re-clean every year, one says it's good until the next hydro.... kinda conflicting.

Do certififying agencies have any published standards?

Ok you have a guy doing the visual and he stick's he's light into the tank is it 0-2 clean, That is just one for yes on the yearly cleaning and two would be you look inside the tank not just for cracks but for moisture and rust. So I ask you if you are looking for these things on a yearly. Way would you not cleaned the damn tank?????

Just my 2 cent.

BlueWaterDiving:
Way would you not cleaned the damn tank?????

Ever clean a tank? It's a pita, and whenever you fill a steel tank with water [to clean it] you run a risk of doing more harm then good.

If a tank has been O2 cleaned and no water has been introduced into the tank during the previous year, a new cleaning is not necessary when doing a VIP. If during the VIP there is obvious water intrusion, corrosion, salt, dirt, etc. then cleaning is a must, along with the valve.
A hydro is different. The valve is removed (if O2 cleaned it stays clean) and the tank is filled with recycled water to max pressure then drained. During the hydro contaminants can be introduced into the tank. So it is best to reclean the tank. The valve however can be reinstalled without additional cleaning.

The reason most places re-clean the tanks yearly is due to the possibility of hydrocarbons that made it past all of the filters. If you use a uv stick light to check the inside of the tank then you may be able to get away with cleaning every few years. But Why Risk It?

We steam clean ours yearly, makes for an easy way to do it.

The valve should be serviced and O2 cleaned every year. Cristo-lube doesn't last well and starts to become a soap like texture after a while. On top of this if you dive often then the valves will need cleaning even if you only use hyper-pure air.

I just got one tank back from hydro and I O2 cleaned it. I am going to be cleaning my tanks with every visual.

Back
Top Bottom