Do organs compress whilst diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Technically... pull of gravity gets weaker as you get closer to the center of the Earth, definitely not stronger.

But the difference over the depth of any dive is negligible. So for practical purposes it's constant near the surface of the Earth.

Since when?
The earth Gravity is always at g = 32 ft/s2 (9.8 m/s2). The hydrostatic pressure (P) will be higher the deeper you are in, as P = S x g x h, where S = water density & h = depth of water from the water surface.
Gravity of Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is a good number to use in formulas, but gravity can be ever so slightly different at different locations on earth (poles versus equator), maybe even 9.79 or 9.81 m/s2. Technology has proved that.

Technically... pull of gravity gets weaker as you get closer to the center of the Earth, definitely not stronger.
But the difference over the depth of any dive is negligible. So for practical purposes it's constant near the surface of the Earth.

Think I should have left the last sentence out of my post, but since I didn't....

Was thinking, as long as I was on or above the crust and at recreational diving depth (really not much difference in the scheme of things), the simplied explanation of "as distance from the center of the earth increases, gravity decreases," albeit very much so, negligibly. Agree that if I tunnel straight down into the earth, that more of the mass between me and the center of the earth is now above and around me, decreasing gravity. But there are so many factors that can be taken into effect and I'm sorry I wrote that last sentence.

Gravity is really bringing me down right now!

No need to split hair here. Whether we are at 59.5 or 60.5 psig, we can just say we are at 60 psig. That is good enough. The important thing is what the 60 psig do to your organs. I don't think there will be a big change to them when you are in 100' deep or 101'. By simply pulling your pressure gauge from the waist to the chest, to get a better look on the pressure reading, you already drop the pressure reading by a foot of water column, which is about 0.5 psi, without moving your whole body. By exhaling & inhaling alone you are probably moving up & down by 2' or 1 psi.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom