Do small children belong at exclusive dive resorts? In first Class?

Should small children be at dive resorts? First Class?

• Yes on both counts.

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • Yes at the resort, no for first class.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • No kids at the resort - first class = OK

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • No for both locations!

Votes: 35 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the comment about everyone being able to dive is not about bratty kids, but it is about begining divers not knowing what they are doing, and maybe being taught better

I don't think I would take my kids to a first class resort.

My kids are good but they're just too young for it. Anyway, why would I want so subject them to boring stuffy resorts with lots of (for kids) weird rules when we can have so much more fun doing exactly what we want on our own terms? It's too cramping for the kids (for me too, actually), too much work for me and my wife to explain all the wierd rules and keep them reined in the whole time and too irritating for some of the other guests. Realistically, kids were put on this earth to teach parents how to deal with chaos and I can really understand people not wanting to join in the fun when they paid a lot of money to find some quiet, low-energy down-time. It's just a square peg and a round hole.

Anyway there's lots of time in the future to do the stuffy boring things with my kids once we've done all the exciting interesting things first :wink:

BTW we had the perfect vacation this year. 22 days camping in the wilderness. I dove a few days from a Zodiac in the absolutely astounding Sechelt Inlet (my old stomping ground) and my kids were free to play and laugh and explore in complete freedom without a single person snearing at them. Ever see two 4 year olds play "jungle explorer" in the forest for an entire day? Those are the things you became a parent for, not to sit around and whisper 'shhhhhh' to your kid all day long. And for me and my wife, God's garden wins hands down from the best resort on the planet. Full stop. Next year we're planning something similar.

I remember when I moved to Holland my mother said 'you'll miss camping...' and my father said "don't worry....you can take the boy out of the mountain but you can never take the mountain out of the boy." and he was right. Next to diving, camping is the thing I most love to do. In a way, living in Holland, where the only remaining signs of untouched nature are found under water, has strengthed both my love of camping and my love of diving. And I'm blessed with children who have this spirit too.

R..

...and take them to all the first class, all inclusive resorts. That way, I will never see nor hear them.
=W.C. Fields

"Children should neither be seen nor heard from -- ever again.":)

DivePartner1 once bubbled...
And who was it that said, "a small child on a plane is like flying with a chihuahua with diarrhea"?

ROFLMAO. This is hilarious!

My wife drugs our kids for flying. :) Some kind of homeopathic magic potion combined with carefully choosing flight times to coincide with their natural sleeping patterns and we've never had a "chihuahua" incident. Actually we drag our kids all over the planet and they travel like perfect little future loney-planet writers.

I'll never forget the first time taking off with our child. My wife was pregnant and the oldest was just about 2 at the time (she's just 5 now). We started taxiing down the runway and she plastered herself against the window. Looked like a mime, nose pressed against the window, hands on either side. When we took off I could see her looking around, up and down and then she turned to me with a completely astonished expression on her face and said something like "WHOA!!!!". It was absolutely priceless. :). I just about pi*sed myself laughing.

R..

(Virgin Club Class V nice), i boarded to find the row in front contained some children and their nanny, no parents, smart move, prob on next flight. Changed into my sleep suit folded up my clothes and relaxed, the kids were fine all flight. Then just before we land i change back into my clothes (which were under the seat in front), to find that one of them didnt like their Caramelly ice creamy desert and had poured it down a crack in the seat, i now have non-creased but sticky pants :upset:

Actually, on a flight to Manilla in Business Class, I shared a row with couple who had a child that screamed almost continuously from Detroit to Narita. The parents were more distressed than anyone--turn by concern over the child and the comfort of those around them. I felt bad them--they really worked on getting everything right. They got off in Japan so I got to sleep on the final leg.

I don't know how you folks with kids do it.

I don't know how you folks with kids do it.
it's all about timing.
of course the more kids you have the harder that is.

i'd like to know more about the magic potion though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom