Do tech divers and cave divers call their backup reg an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I deliberately call mine an "octopus" and I deliberately call my fins "flippers" too. When people try to correct me I'll even start calling my mask my "goggles". I do this to remind people who dive with me (or who learn from me) that there is a differnce between knowing what you're doing and knowing the vocabulary. Any poser can sound the part but that doesn't matter a damned little bit. I wouldn't care if you called it your "third eye" as long as you know exactly how to use it....

R..

:rofl3: I have a buddy who does this, mixes up a lot of terminology, some deliberate (flippers, goggles, etc), some not so like he doesn't really know much about DIR and things like that so we were in a dive shop swapping our reg hoses over one day, and got the 'DIR' hose size, and he goes "does this make us DER or are we still stokes?" :rofl3: The other person there's look was quite hilarious.

I personally do not understand the big deal about fins being flippers, mask being goggles, etc. I got a number of beer fines in my OW course for calling my fins my flippers! :depressed: I think next time I see my OW instructor I will deliberately start using those names :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom