Question Traveling with a Backup Reg Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that two entire assembled reg sets (plus a few small bits like dive lights, computer, etc) just barely fits into a standard DGX reg bag. So, I just carry both sets in the one bag.

If you are going to disassemble them, that's probably fine, just be careful not to get bits of stuff into the threaded ends.

I carry my spare set (either a AL Titan LX or a G260/Mark 17 Evo) fully rigged and ready to go in a regulator bag. My primary set is a G250 with Mark 2 Evo, yep, and it is superb. My number 1 set goes in the dive bag and my back up number 2 set goes in my suitcase or carry on back pack.

Or, in addition to a fully rigged back up set, I also have carried a spare G250 second stage, one spare (braided) hose set and rebuild kits and tools enough to accomplish such on my recent longer excursion.

So I'm now thinking... while traveling (plane) the backups regs will be disassembled then when I get to the hotel room I can assemble and put in my dive bag ready to go

It depends. Depending on how long the trip is going to be and whether I am going to need things for activities besides diving, my airline baggage allowance may already be pushing the limit. Whether I decide to leave at home some nice-to-have but perhaps not necessary items in favor of bringing spare regs depends on the circumstances.

When traveling by air to a land-based dive resort, no I don't take spare regs. In the unlikely event my reg set fails, either the dive operator can fix it, or if not, they can rent me a replacement. Most dive resorts have the ability to service regs as well as reg sets to rent.

When traveling by air to a liveaboard, yes, I bring a spare first stage and second stage, because liveaboards often do not have anything to rent unless requested at the time of booking. I don't bring spares of all hoses--only those that are uncommon sizes, such as when diving with a 7-ft primary hose. In my experience, hoses fail more often than regs. Sometimes I think I should be bringing all spare hoses and leaving the first and second stages behind if I can't manage the baggage weight.

When traveling by land from home, sure, I bring spare regs, hoses, and all kinds of things.

I don't take back ups because I service everything before an international dive trip and I dive with dive centers. If mine fails, I'll use theirs. Not a huge deal.
I've never disassembled. Never had a reason to.

I usually take spare hoses, an inflator, and a spare first and second stage, but just packed as separate pieces, not assembled. They take up less space that way and I would be swapping out a failing component in case of an issue, not replacing an entire regulator set. On this last trip I ended up with not one, but two braided LP hoses failing, so I had borrow one from the boat anyway.

While you are thinking of spares one of the most common failures in dive equipment is the BC inflator. Either the rebuild kit and the tool or a spare unit makes sense.

And not just spares, equipment reliability is a choice as well, on my trip to the Red Sea, knowing there would be many dives and rugged conditions and sometimes no service or stores to purchase or rent gear, I chose not my prettiest prized regulators or my lovely antiques or even my most expensive fancy brand new stuff. Nope, I chose instead a pair of old G250s and a new Mark 2 Evo. A rebuild kit for both stages and a third spare G250. A Mark 2 Evo is bullet proof and a G250 is robust and reliable and both can be serviced with minimal tools.

In fact, the G250/Mark 2 Evo combo proved to perform so well I took it to Cozumel just a few weeks later again as my main reg set:

That DGX BCI there is not part of my normal kit. I just bought it for a specific purpose and I was trying it out to see how it did with my wing/BP rig.

A funny, my first dive with the BCI, I back rolled in and my mask slipped off. I grabbed my mask before it escaped and with my other hand clipped off my camera tether to the crotch ring and being distracted, I guess I missed. I then let go of the camera to futz with my mask. I then noticed upon clearing my mask that my camera was now 20 feet away and going fast. No problem, dump my wing and I will grab it, nope! Being unfamiliar with the feel of the BCI I pushed the wrong button. Oops! Now the camera was much further away :shocked:. Now, I pride myself on never arm swimming. I maneuver 100% with my flippers all the time. But I was arm swimming, fin swimming and any kind of arm flapping swimming I needed to catch that dang camera. And of course it was observed by a diver who I had just suggested that they keep their arms at their sides or crossed, so it goes :eek:. The point being, when far away, maybe bring stuff that is proven reliable and that you are very familiar with.

I use regs I can service in minutes with minimal fuss. I take service kits. For me that's G250s and a Titan 1st or similar, Apeks US4 or unsealed FSR are also good.

I take inflator unit kit, a couple of spare hoses, a spool and mouthpiece. Never once needed to service a reg which wasn't planned. Have had issues with inflator unit and leaky spool. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom