Do watch out for the bug that is going around the island.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsea21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Nah... No one ever gets sick on Coz... it's an island... it's virtually insulated from sickness. :wink: Yeah, right. Until you catch it and then you hear, "Oh yeah, there's a bug going around and 1/2 the island has been sick with it". Basically it's a strain of acute viral bronchitis that seems to start in the chest and move to the head with a rapid fast incubation period. Regardless, if you catch it you'll be in store for a nasty producing cough, fever/chills/sweats, headaches and a bit of a stuffed up head that will last for about 6 days in my experience. You certainly won't be in any condition to dive with it.

If you do start feeling sick STAY OFF THE BOAT AND DON'T TAKE OTHERS DOWN WITH YOU! That's how I think I caught it... Someone on the boat beside me who was coughing a bit and I ran into him 2 days later when I was feeling bad and he was no longer diving but loading up on cold and cough medicine. I then quickly passed it on to my wife who came down with it about 36 hours later. Went to the Mega to buy some cough syrup the first day... went back 3 days later for some more as my wife was downing it too now and the entire shelf of cough syrups and expectorants was empty so we obviously weren't the only people buying it. We did hit one of the pharmacies and bought an Albuterol inhaler that helped open up the passages, stop the wheezing, and make coughs more productive (if you care to be your own doctor).

Anyway, steer clear of people you hear coughing. Once you've been sick with it, recovered and are tuned in you'll hear lots of people coughing with this bug everywhere and I'm guessing that is just at the onset before it takes them down for a few days.

Lost a total of 6 days of diving over a 2-week trip and returned to the states on X-mas day. Pretty sure it is still there and circulating.

Yes, we did pack some Covid test kits and it is not Covid.

Yes, there is something going around. We are getting over ours.

I recall swine flu

Sorry for you and your wife
Thanks for the reminder to practice safe traveling

Sorry for you and your wife
Thanks for the reminder to practice safe traveling

It wasn't from the airports or planes... I'm quite certain of that. Wife and I wore N95's in the airports and on the planes as we don't want to catch anything when traveling to a dive destination. We resided in probably the 3% who were wearing masks in the airports and on the planes. This was contracted on the island for sure. It hit hard and fast and wasn't fun. Crazy thing is I hadn't had so much as a sniffle in 3 years and I take absolutely no precautions in my daily US life. I stopped the mask wearing thing stateside a long, long time ago.

If anyone is on Coz now or traveling in the very near future while this bug is still circulating I'd obviously steer clear of anyone coughing and I'd steer clear of interior sit-down dining and stick with outside open-air tables. After our recovery and getting back to our last 4 days of diving we were out to a few restaurants and some of the servers were wearing masks but not because they had to... because they wanted to and either didn't want to catch what is going around or they were working sick as best they could and didn't want to spread it. They all were very aware of what is going around.

Would I not go to Coz because of this? Of course not. Just take precautions. Heck, wife and I flew to Coz (unvaccinated at the time) in Dec 2020 at the peak of Covid, took precautions and had a great time.

Thanks for the warning & info. Sorry you & the wife were both ill.

If you do start feeling sick STAY OFF THE BOAT AND DON'T TAKE OTHERS DOWN WITH YOU! That's how I think I caught it... Someone on the boat beside me who was coughing a bit and I ran into him 2 days later when I was feeling bad and he was no longer diving but loading up on cold and cough medicine. I then quickly passed it on to my wife who came down with it about 36 hours later. Went to the Mega to buy some cough syrup the first day... went back 3 days later for some more as my wife was downing it too now and the entire shelf of cough syrups and expectorants was empty so we obviously weren't the only people buying it. We did hit one of the pharmacies and bought an Albuterol inhaler that helped open up the passages, stop the wheezing, and make coughs more productive (if you care to be your own doctor).

Anyway, steer clear of people you hear coughing.

Isn't that spreading it?

Reactions: BRT
Sorry to hear this! We just completed 22 dives, so the next few days will be beaching it…my tequila intake cures 99.9% of all ailments. I highly suggest it over cough medicine.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom