Do you carry basic safety equipment on dives? If not, why?

Do you carry safety equipment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little skeptical of the value of noisemakers, but I still bring a whistle and the other items. I used to bring a horn, but I don't like the extra complications and failure points on my low pressure hose. I used to have a PLB too, but you have to make choices--I can't travel with everything. If I ever need it, though, I sure will miss it. :wink:

He tried using a credit card to signal boats, but spent 18 hours treading water. I don't think many could do that.
He probably had a gold card. :shakehead: I have platinum cards--no treading water for me. :crafty:

I do not carry a mirror, or a noisemaker, because of articles I've read that said that both were relatively useless. I never do a dive off a boat without an SMB in my pocket, and it's often there for shore dives in current-sensitive sites. And I never do a dive ANYWHERE for any reason without at least one light.

I've used my Dive Alert to get the attention of my boat. It's certainly reaches further than my Storm Whistle - which seems to be the best human powered dive whistle. I haven't tried my mirror but it's got to be better than that pilot's credit card. Neither take up any room or much weight.

I have been amazed at how many divers I have met without SMBs. I know one couple who spent an hour or so drifting until found because they'd left theirs on the boat.

I have a small mirror rolled up in my SMB so there's no extra danglies. I've been on rough water dives where you could just about lose site of the boat, much less a diver. If your SMB exploded on the way up or would not inflate at the surface for any reason, a whistle may be enough to get the crew's attention. Slim chance is better than no chance.

I answered yes, but it depends. On a charter I generally carry an SMB, knife, Dive Alert. Mirror sometimes and pony depending on depth. Possibly one or 2 lights depending on depth, viz (2 at night of course). On my shallow dives basically just the knife, if I know the site. If not, probably the SMB and maybe Dive Alert in case of unexpected current. I try to cover all safety aspects, but don't add stuff when it's really not needed.

The link in the first post doesn't work for me, but yes, I carry safety gear on every dive, warm or cold water, boat or shore dive. 3 lights (primary and 2 backup), multiple cutting devices, and a SMB with spool.

Yeah, your link in post #1 is bad. :(

On my shallow dives basically just the knife, if I know the site. If not, probably the SMB and maybe Dive Alert in case of unexpected current. I try to cover all safety aspects, but don't add stuff when it's really not needed.
"When the diver was found the next day, he remarked that he shouted at boats passing in the night and one even shined lights his way but apparently did not notice him." :laughing:

XS Highland Scuba shorts . . .

Right pocket - signal mirror, air horn (put between lp inflator hose and BC inflator)

XS Scuba bright yellow, 8', 22" circumference SMB, pre-mounted on spool or reel.

Always a light, usually two.

At night, I can put my Intova Ultra Nova up the fill way of the SMB, and tie with a piece of bungie cord I always carry. I clip the dogclip to the ring on the SMB. In low light, it looks like an 8' neon light. The airhorn sounds like an 18-wheeler's. It carries wonderfully.

Decided on the above after a posting by a Coast Guard SAR pilot, who said they were the most effective.

I'm of the "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" mind set. Same thing when kayaking or hiking, it's all about managing risk.

Sorry about the link. Thread merging issue. Stuff happens. :eek:k:

Just wanted to use this method to bring safety equipment and planning back to the forefront of everyone's thinking for a little while.

It is especially good for new divers to see what experienced divers carry with them. It's not a huge investment. If $100 or less in safety equipment is your reason for not carrying these items, perhaps you can't afford to dive. Your life and the lives of those searching for you are a gazillion times more valuable than any equipment expense you incur.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom