Do you carry basic safety equipment on dives? If not, why?

Do you carry safety equipment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got all that except a mirror. I do carry a hand held marine radio in a canister and two smb's.

Do you carry the basic safety equipment when you dive, especially ocean diving?

1. SMB (Surface Market Buoy)
2. Working Light with fresh batteries
3. Reflective Signaling Device (mirror)
4. Noise Signaling Device
5. at least one cutting device, preferably two differing types - knife/shears/linecutter

If not, please tell us why?
added one more thing to your basic kit

And I do not recommend rechargeable batteries in your safety/back up light ... they dont last as long/have as much energy as regular batteries, dont stay charged in storage so you have to keep on top on them

Looking for a way to store a SMB on your BC that does not dangle?
this is how I did mine after seeing it rigged this way on a friends backplate

It sits under the wing, always with me, and is readily deployable

I carry everything in Insta-Gator's list on every dive

When you start doing more advanced dives in remote locations or places where the risk to you goes up if your left behind/swept away .. you should taylor your safety gear to those conditions, maybe a taller SMB, or adding a Radio or PLB - Personal Locator Beacon

I answered no, although I do carry a whistle, shears, and knife on all dives. All my diving has been limited to rivers, lakes, and quarries where I just don't see the need for carrying the other items. If I ever get the opportunity to dive in the ocean either from shore or a boat, I will definitely carry an SMB and mirror.

So I said to the skipper guy, I said, excuse me Captain Sir, If I give you a half
a Dollar coin now, I'll give you the other half of the coin when you pick me up

He said to me, hey diver dude, you seem to be an entrepreneureal, kinda guy

Hows about you start selling half this crap to all comers then you can give me
half of two bucks to pick you up

You can get low-drain rechargeable batteries now that will hold an unused charge for up to a year.

Hey folks -where on earth do you carry all this stuff?
Ive got knife/light/smb and whistle -never thought of a mirror.
My mirror hangs from my neck inside my suit.

I carry an emergency kit (SMB, mirror, spool, glow stick) bungied to my plate 100% of the time, plus shears, light and horn.

Why? Because I sometimes have senior moments and don't want to forget something I might need someday.

Same reason I carry an emergency kit in my car (first aid, jumpers, flares, a couple of blankets and 8 bottles of water since I live in the desert). Its simpler just to always have it.

Yep...smb/reel,dive air alert,knife,torch,two dive computers,whistle,rattle,magic wand,bright yellow/white magnetic slate, but way too old & ugly for a mirror...

KT

Am I missing something.. majic wand???

We always carry the items you list and of course, a compass which is also a safety tool as well. We carry them because we do a lot of independent diving, but we carry them on group dives too, because we love diving and want to keep diving for a long time. You should also add to you list a dive flag when diving independently.
DivemasterDennis

I carry everything but, a noise maker. But, my dive buddy carries one. I am still trying to decide what noise maker to get.
Kurt in Cebu

Back
Top Bottom