Do You Consider Solo Diving to be Recreational or Technical?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ANDI has had a solo diver certification for more than 10 years.. If you have ANY questions regarding ANDI standards and classes just PM me.. I am an Instructor Trainer Director for ANDI.. That means I help set standards, create classes and materials, create ITs and create instructors.. I also interact directly with the heads of the various regional headquarters.

last time I counted ANDI had about 150 certifications (plus distinctve specialties), the flowcharts and standards generally list the most important ones..

Please; requesting for me to PM you for details seems quite odd, in a thread attempting to discus the details of the various Solo Diver certs. Why not just tell us some details of ANDI's Solo Diver course?

For instance; if an ANDI Solo Diver with the same limits as Darnold9999 became a Cave Diver, does the Solo Diver rating follow to Solo Cave Diver?

Bog Grating is a scrapper, does it well due to his suffering of diminutive stature
at the hands of schoolyard bullies, which he brings quite obviously to this forum.

The constant lying and misconstruction of others statements or predelictions
is something that a schoolyard scrapper should obtain assistance for

And I don't mean garnering support from other bullies

I think it's pretty safe to say that most folks who solo dive in caves don't have a c-card for it. There are other ways to attain the skills required for such dives. Those avenues pursued by cave divers typically involve considerably more expense, experience and effort than any current solo offering ... necessarily so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bog Grating is a scrapper, does it well due to his suffering of diminutive stature
at the hands of schoolyard bullies, which he brings quite obviously to this forum.

The constant lying and misconstruction of others statements or predelictions
is something that a schoolyard scrapper should obtain assistance for

And I don't mean garnering support from other bullies
Speak for yourself Emile. Let's show everyone what a scrapper and a bully looks like ...

Almost fifty years in the ocean will do that to you.

Stick with getting advice from people that hand themselves
over to an agency and are no longer able to differentiate

Or you can continue to listen to Bailey and Lynne
who with a combined existence of 115 years have a
TOTAL OF FIFTEEN YEARS DIVE EXPERIENCE
HAVING STARTED AT FIFTY YEARS OF AGE

Now there's me and halemano with almost a combined 100
years of life, with probably NINETY YEARS IN THE OCEAN

Diving unencumbered without four tanks and a shop full of gear
diving completely disconnected from the elements in a drysuit

But if I wanted to learn something and was too LAZY or STUPID
to learn it by taking the short cut of a dive course because remember
you have no idea what to know unless you DO IT outside the womb of
the mostly complete crap class

then I would ask dumpsterDiver, one of the very few
on here that goes about his business and gets it done

Ten years diving, having started at fifty and only sharing
you biased information if people ask you nicely or pay you
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3::rofl3: :rofl3:

Surely you jest no?

What should I do today :idk: halemanos sig

I know, I'll start diving and teaching as a menopausal gift to myself
in a swamp

Joke yes!

Bully yes! I've never spoken like that to you or about you. So who's the bully ... and who's the scrapper?

You seem to believe that you are owed something for all those years of diving you keep bragging about. But if it's respect you're looking for, you have to earn it.

And frankly, if you put the question to the general ScubaBoard population whether they'd prefer to get diving advice from me and TSandM ... or you and Halemano ... I suspect you'd be very disappointed with the answer.

Or you could just continue to brag about how many years you've been diving ... I'm sure someone will be impressed ...

... Bog Grating

halemanō;6132174:
and have not continued to berate, harass and hijack the OP and thread. I have also not brought up those very rare "dissenting" opinions over and over in numerous later and unrelated threads started by the OP of said threads.

Not a perfect segue, but I have tried to set an example of dealing with what I consider to be unjust posts, in the thread they were originally posted in.

I also have only been hijacking threads I started in said manner.

I still do not read that knowone is saying to take "our" advise, regarding the topic of the thread those posts are taken from; he said he would ask DumpsterDiver.

Kind of makes me think back to which US Presidents had the most positive impact on the world. I think Nixon did more than most; but his lies terminally tarnished his legacy.

:idk:

halemanō;6133884:

But the boat operator answers to a higher power ...

The way PDIC Solo Diver is listed on this page would seem to indicate it is not a Tek cert.

:idk:

PDIC has distinctive solo specialties such as Solo Cave Diver which are not listed on the website. However, as divers and as an industry, do we not look at the collective training and experience of the diver? Do I need a solo nitrox diver c-card to dive solo on nitrox? Or, would my nitrox training be sufficient when paired with a solo diver certification? In solo class, I call attention to the fact that nitrox diving will be slightly more risky to a solo diver due to oxygen toxicity, but I don't think an entire course needs to be run for a recreational solo diver using nitrox. At the technical level, do we really need to see a Solo Advanced Wreck Penetration Exploration Trimix C-card? Or, would solo, advanced wreck, and trimix be sufficient?

When activities are combined, there are nuances in strategy, but the big picture concepts remain the same. After classes students often understand the big picture. Experience often teaches them the nuances.

I think it's pretty safe to say that most folks who solo dive in caves don't have a c-card for it. There are other ways to attain the skills required for such dives. Those avenues pursued by cave divers typically involve considerably more expense, experience and effort than any current solo offering ... necessarily so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Correct. Do we really need a Night Cave Diver c-card just to deal with the nuance that we won't have lovely blue ambient daylight streaming into the cavern zone? Or, do we just need to know that following the guideline to open water rule is more important at night and that a light failure would make exiting and deco more challenging? When solo cave diving at night I run line to open water and carry a chemical glow stick in my wetnotes. It makes a comfortable reading light for decompression and I know I'm entering the cave with one working light that casts a faint glow to make finding a guideline possible if battery powered lights fail.

When solo cave diving at night I run line to open water and carry a chemical glow stick in my wetnotes. It makes a comfortable reading light for decompression and I know I'm entering the cave with one working light that casts a faint glow to make finding a guideline possible if battery powered lights fail.

Well, I obviously worded my query badly.

If a PDIC Solo Diver was on one of the M/V Spree's Tech Charters, how would Wookie (Frank) determine the "agency limits" of the divers PDIC Solo Card?

:confused:

halemanō;6135363:
Well, I obviously worded my query badly.

If a PDIC Solo Diver was on one of the M/V Spree's Tech Charters, how would Wookie (Frank) determine the "agency limits" of the divers PDIC Solo Card?

:confused:

Checked the standards and the only limits are a 130 foot maximum depth for recreational solo diving and a maximum depth where the ppO2 does not exceed 1.4 ATA for the working portion of a technical dive or a ppO2 of 1.6 ATA for deco.

Frank could contact Thaddeus at PDIC for more information or use his best judgement along with whatever additional C-cards and logged dives were presented to him.

Last edited:
the base certification is a l3 cert meaning it requires a tech cert and will carry the same limits as the l3 tech cert, if you upgraded to say an advanced wreck diver or cave diver, you now have a hard overhead and a solo cert... so the combined limits would apply.. There is only so much text that can be printed on a c-card.. the key points have to be highlighted.. if you had a l5 cert then those limitrs would apply.. we aren't going to do multiple solo cards.. a solo diver is a solo diver.. his experience and other certs should dictate what he/she can do.

if the person had technical trimix (another l3 class) then their cert would limit them to 45 minutes of deco...
This method of applying certs also means that if a person becomes a CCR diver they don't need a CCR solo cert, they just need atleast Technical Rebreather diver...

Back
Top Bottom