Do you dive/like diving with a DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No traveling, live at a diving location, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. If I had a buddy that wanted to boat dive with me we’d probably pair up as a team but I’m usually a single. I go with the operator I certified with so they know me and go with the DM, being a single I’d rather stick around them than insta-buddy. They let me mostly tag along and do my own thing. I’m sure some folks will condemn us both but it suites me just fine. Otherwise a couple of buddies are DM, Instructors for shore diving.

I like diving with a DM just fine...they usually make good buddies...

Only in extraordinary circumstances would I pay for one and I certainly wouldnt let him/her plan my dive, no matter how qualified...

I think like what sting and azza said, that outside of courses, DMs don´t get wet here unless someone pays for it (or they pay for themselves). Personally thats how I think it should be...

Depending on DMs and location. If the DM is only there to herd the group from point A to B then I would rather do without them and take my own time. In many places, I like to dive with DM/dive guides as they know the area well and can usually find all the interesting critters better than I can on my own. Certain places such as Komodo, Indonesia, I would not dream of diving without local dive guide/DM as currents can be very tricky if you don't know the area well.

Azza,

I think you should pray that your country never goes that way. I presonally dislike being herded as someone has said. I am from the US and there in most cases the DM is there because the quality of the divers is not up to the dive and the boat or operator is protecting himself by helping those (leading, assembling gear, showing how to use tables or computers, making sure they have a timer and depth gage, etc.) who are totally uncapable or unwilling to help them selves. I have been other places where diving with the DM is a requirement, and there I have found that once you have shown your self to be competent you can usually dive you own profile.

Azza:
Do you like diving with a Divemaster and what country do you come from/dive in?

When I dive at home (in Switzerland) I have built-in buddies from our club. When I travel I usually dive with my son, who makes an excellent buddy.

Unfortunately, there are many locations where they will not let you dive without a DM. There, the enjoyment heavily depends on the quality of said DM. Some have really helped by finding and pointing out local sea life. Others have just let us do our thing. Yet others have been major pains in the backside. All in all, I avoid DMs whenever possible.

I would re-iterate what a previous poster said... it depends. If I am into something I don't feel fully qualified to do, like night diving, or deep diving, I don't go if there's not a pro along.

--'Goose

As a DM, I have to be honest and say, no.... I'd rather dive with my buddy then with whatever charter's Dm I might be out with for the day. I really wish more DM's would just take the time and ask what their customers want. I like to find out if I have photographers, hunters, speed demons and such. My little briefing usually says something like this.

Guys, you are free to venture off on your own with your buddy so long as you have a safety sausage to deploy at your safety stop(they already have been briefed at this point on the reefs running North and South). For those of you that would like to stay with me, there's a really good chance your going to see a ton of cool stuff.

Very seldom to I actual have a diver go off without me.

Azza:
I have noticed, on a few threads around here, that a lot of people like diving with DM’s, or in certain places in the world you must dive with a DM.

In my country it’s not a thing that has really taken off to any extent so I wanted to pose this question(s).

Do you like diving with a Divemaster and what country do you come from/dive in?

Just idle curiosity.
Thanks in advance

Where I come from THe divemaster role tends mainly to be about logistics and safety since the animal life is not all that varied and most sites rather safe. The few enthusiasts that can be bothered with the cold water tends to arrange stuff for themselves.

snata

The German dive operation we've used for the past two years at the Red Sea in Egypt (Extra Divers/Makadi Bay) seems to balance this just right for boat dives.

Their rule (Egyptian law?) is that divers with less than 20 total dives have to dive with a "guide"... usually the boat's divemaster. With a 5 Euro surcharge. There are usually several divers on each boat that fit that requirement. If they don't already have buddies, the divemaster organizes them into two-person buddy teams, with the divemaster either diving solo or with a buddy; and off they go.

How good the guide is obviously varies from guide to guide. Sometimes they just lead the way, watching out over their charges. Most times they actively seek and point out interesting stuff that divers, experienced or not, would probably miss otherwise.

Divers with more than 20 dives can go off on their own; subject to a one-hour maximum guideline, and a max depth according to certification. They usually get dropped into the water first.

If more-experienced divers want to tag along with the guided divers, that's usually fine too (like in our case, parents with children); the guide/divemaster obviously asks that they stay behind the guided divers.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom