Do you dive/like diving with a DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have yet to dive with a DM who "herds" me around. All of them just swim around like the rest of us................though a little less aimlessly than we do.

Since they do so many dives at various spots they point out things we would miss.

Azza:
I have noticed, on a few threads around here, that a lot of people like diving with DM’s, or in certain places in the world you must dive with a DM.

In my country it’s not a thing that has really taken off to any extent so I wanted to pose this question(s).

Do you like diving with a Divemaster and what country do you come from/dive in?

Just idle curiosity.
Thanks in advance

Hmm, I think it's worthwhile if you're diving somewhere new to go with someone who knows the place well. However, I'd rather dive a new location with an Open Water diver who's made 100 dives there than a DM who's never been there before.

I don't especially like diving with a DM, since I like to hang around and watch cool stuff to swim by, while they like to drag the group around and cover as much area as possible.

Terry

Azza:
I have noticed, on a few threads around here, that a lot of people like diving with DM’s, or in certain places in the world you must dive with a DM.

In my country it’s not a thing that has really taken off to any extent so I wanted to pose this question(s).

Do you like diving with a Divemaster and what country do you come from/dive in?

Just idle curiosity.
Thanks in advance

I like diving with a DM if it's an area I'm unfamiiar with, as they can point out thing. On my recent trip to Vanuatu, the DM knew where a baby white tip shark was resting, where there was a spotted Moray eel and a bunch of other cool things I would not have spotted becaus eI would not have known where to look. Having said that, just cruising around and checking out site with just you and your buddy, and no one to pull you away from that cool thing you just found, that is fun too...

Take advantage of whichever situation presents itself, I say.

Z...

Where I live, DM's work classes ... other than that, you're pretty much on your own.

On vacation, it depends on the DM ... some of the most enjoyable tropical diving I've done was in Maui, with Blesi of B & B Scuba. She was able to show me things I'd have never spotted on my own ... like the leaf scorpionfish and the frogfish. Besides ... since I was diving with the co-owner of the business, we were able to ignore the captain's bottom time limitations with impunity ... :eyebrow:

.... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No DM, please. I expect the charter to take me to the good sites, provide me with a good briefing on the site and what conditions to expect, then cut up the SI snack. I'd rather take a chance on missing something than be herded like sheep.

ReefGuy:
No DM, please. I expect the charter to take me to the good sites, provide me with a good briefing on the site and what conditions to expect, then cut up the SI snack. I'd rather take a chance on missing something than be herded like sheep.
:crying: fine :crying:

ReefGuy:

I only have two dives under my belt, outside of certification, so I don't know if I like it or not. Those two dives occurred exactly as you describe here, there was a DM on board and he gave us all the details, but did not dive with us. Although I would have felt better if he did, everything turned out well and it was a nice confidence booster for my son and I.

What a silly question...
I love diving with a DM.
I love diving without a DM.
What was the question again?
Rick

But Vickie, you're special, and you know that. They said "DM", not "Friend".

DMs are like instabuddies. Some are good, some not.

baitedstorm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom