Do you Dive with a Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not use a snorkel either. Hate having it wiggle around on my mask and of course the snagging thing. I also have a folding one to put in bc pocket to fend off the nazi snorkel police of laguna.
I usually swim out on my back as well and if i need to see something i just froll over and take a peak. Sometimes i even swim out on my belly with face in the water just like swimming freestyl ( but without the arms )
Some people swear by them but to each their own.
TRY IT OUT

I keep one around for when I'm taking a PADI class and that's it.
SoCalAJ:
Do you dive with a snorkel or not,,, just curious and why.....

I normally don't dive with a snorkel but this weekend I had a long surface swim (across the lake) before I got to the place I wanted to dive. I could of swan on my back but I stayed close to the shore and was able to see alot of fish and stuff that I would of missed on my back. However for the most part I hate it dangling and tangling. I may have to look into a foldable or roll-up, it was kinda cool seeing all those things before my dive.

CAPX28:
I do not use a snorkel either. Hate having it wiggle around on my mask and of course the snagging thing. I also have a folding one to put in bc pocket to fend off the nazi snorkel police of laguna.
I usually swim out on my back as well and if i need to see something i just froll over and take a peak. Sometimes i even swim out on my belly with face in the water just like swimming freestyl ( but without the arms )
Some people swear by them but to each their own.
TRY IT OUT

Who are the nazi snorkel police of Laguna? (I had to ask.)

btw, I usually swim backwards, and only use a snorkel when I'm getting lots of water in my mouth, or I want to check out a school of fish below me. I've lost 2 snorkels in heavy surf so far.

Scott

I dive with a snorkel because I like to look at things on my swim out...and sometimes on my swim in. I have rarely had any trouble with it - and I have gotten so used to it that if it was gone, I may feel naked!

SoCalAJ:
Do you dive with a snorkel or not,,, just curious and why.....
Yep. Required in Laguna where I do most of my diving. I got rid of the cheesy one I bought with my scuba starter package and got one with the flexible tubing on the mouthpiece, so it's comfortable to use. I primarily use it if I'm on a long surface swim out and want to do so face down. Doesn't bother me at all. I've been protecting it with a hand over the top when the sea lions seem playful.
Kevin

KazInAz:
No snorkel...I dont see the need. However, when I'm DM'ing it is required so I keep one of those folding ones in my drysuit pocket.

Kaz

Where can I find these, and do they actually work well. I don't dive with a snorkel now, hate the thing banging me in the face, but could see the benefit for having one in a pinch. :eyebrow:

Curt Bowen:
I hate snorkels and would not own one if someone gave me a box of them for free.

C'mon, don't sugar coat it, Curt, how do you really feel? :wink:

AJ, you know I usually do, very rarely will I not have one on the mask. I'm just used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom