Do you Dive with a Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Mr. Zulu sez, when swimming out with kelp around it's probably best to do it face down with snorkel, no?

Also, I would think that swimming out is easier when you are face down, as opposed to on your back, only because the drag of a big old tank would slow you down. I seem to swim a lot faster in snorkel mode than on my back. Don't get as tired either. Maybe that's just me.

And you can see all the stuff going on below on the trip out. I mean, what if a mermaid (or for the women, a mer-guy) went by right under you and you missed it?

BACK IN THE 60'S they taught us how to "buddy Breath" and use a snorkel. I have just came back after a week in Grand Cayman and it looks like octs/regs are in and snorkels are out. I still use one because it conserves air from the boat and to the decent line. The dive operators want 500 lbs of air when you climb back on board. using good air from your tank on the surface doesn't make sense to me ..... save it for when your down. Anyone seen the movie Open Water ..... they had snorkels and didn't use them. I prefer swimming forward using a snorkel than doing the backstroke and not seeing where I'm going.

I started diving with a snorkel than I stopped, and now I wont dive with out one. In the Grand Bahamas I was diving with my new camera in 4 to 6 foot swells. The current was beyond swift. I mean it was really halling A--. I jumped in grabed my camera and began pulling myself up the line to the mooring line. At this time my reg was in my mouth. I got to the mouring line and began my desent. Everything was fine but the current was ripping, and my camera was acting like a huge sail. The plan was to get to the bottom and visit a wreck at about 80 feet. We were going to tour the whole thing. But by the time I got to the buttom I had already breathed 1000 PSI. SO now I only had 2000 left. When the DM got to the bottom I had about 1500 left. I told him I was going to look around for another 300 at the bottom and than head back up. At 1200 I went back up. I surfaced at the mooring line with about 300 left. I got to the back of the boat with about 175 left. HERE COMES THE BUMMER. There was no one on the boat for me to pass my camera to. So I thought about it. Mean while the reg is still in my mouth because the swells are now crashing on me. I am alone and have an expensive camera. I decide what the heck, my camera is insured and I am pretty good with knots so I tied it off to the drift line. Looked at my gauge now I am at around 75 PSI. NOT GOOD. I take off my fins and now its time to ride the ladder rodeo. I finally get back on the boat ALONE. get my stuff off and pull my camera back in. About this time everyone else was comming back. I thought to myself if this took a little longer I could have been out of air and had no snorkel with 4 to 6 foot swells landing on me. Sure maybe It would have been fine but would have been better with my snorkel.

Just a story.

J

JonasDolkart:
I started diving with a snorkel than I stopped, and now I wont dive with out one. ........

J

Good story, and glad you had your snorkel, but I think there was a lot more wrong with that dive that had nothing to do with a snorkel, starting with diving off an untended boat in a ripping current with a camera.......... (that's not intended to be a rip on you, by the way, just reflecting the conditions of the dive).

Chris

I Only wear one when I know I have a long surface swim ahead of me. I hate swimming on my back for long distances.

I have found my snorkel to be pretty useless on surface swims since the chop floods it and those dry snorkels are too bulky.

Once I was asked to tell a tail, gather round for a frightening true story.

I owned a small beach dive shop in Grenada back in the early 90's, and was doing lots and lots of diving. So much diving, in fact, that I had come up with my optimal dive gear; a 3 mm suit - full legs and arms, not a shorty, a Sea Quest Explorer BCD, no pockets, only an octo clip, and a small whistle by Dacor. That’s it.
My reg was a Dacor 360 xlt and an Aero octo, and a set of Sherwood gages with a Wekona knife on the back. I had two computers, a Dacor Micro Brain Pro Plus and a Skinny Dipper.
The gages tucked into the cummerbund of my BCD, My octo clip was across my chest, and this is how I went diving every day - 3 times a day, most days - for 3 yrs.
I figured I was pretty clever and did not need the clutter of a snorkel. I always dived in the shelter of Grenada, and always with a good boat driver who could follow bubbles. He was always exactly where I wanted him, even when we did not use a buoy. When I dove the away trips to Isle Du Rhone, which was found by Andre Patterson and myself (bragging rights, don't ya know,) we used a SMB (surface marker buoy.)
I was BSAC trained and we always had a snorkel in the knife strap - never on the mask, where it could get caught. Around 1988 I started my PADI cross-over, and wore a snorkel on my mask for some time thereafter, but it never got caught…...
One particular Sunday, I went to do a private dive to the Bianca C. We were to be on the wreck early to get some nice pictures and a dive along the wall/reef and out in time for our 10 am dive. Extra dives for the photographer, and a little change for me too.
All was going great until I asked for the SMB and was told by Rod (my rasta boat driver) that we had dropped a weight belt on it and it had a hole in it. I was dressed and so was the paying customer, so I said I would dive with out it. BIG HUGE MISTAKE # ONE.
The dive went off without a hitch. We had a great dive, saw a couple of big eagle rays, a few small sharks on the wreck, a turtle on the reef, and we both had a lobster to take back. Great dive.
On the surface, however, we were not so lucky. At around 15 ft, we had a current running. It was going off island at 3-4 knots. I had, by now, gotten to 500 psi “ish” and was ready to come up. We both surfaced, and the current had pushed my buddy and me 1/2 mile away from our usual exit point. BIG MISTAKE # TWO. I was looking at the boat waving and shouting at Rod while he was searching where we should have been. A Dive Alert MIGHT have stopped this incident there, but (a) I did not have one and (b) the wind was coming directly at our faces.
By the time I had faced the fact that I had screwed up, I was over a mile out. I grabbed my buddy and told him I was a scared, and that I was not going to let him out my sight. I started to swim into shore. Almost immediately I was aware that to do this we would have to swim hard and across the current. By now, (5/10 minutes had passed,) it was clear that to make the island of Grenada we would have to aim at the little island off the shore on the Atlantic side (South,) as there was no way we would make the inland side. We angled at the island and were making headway, and when we saw the sail of a Moorings Beneteau 42 coming at us, we thought we were saved. We both started to shout and wave and carry on. I began to blow my whistle, but to no avail.
When I turned to find my buddy, he was gone. The sea at this point was a good 4 to 6 ft and I was in a controlled panic. I had lost my buddy, and I was starting to hurt from all the rubbing and such of swimming. I looked around for my buddy and saw something further out. I had vowed to not die alone, so I kicked after him. As it was, I caught up fairly quickly, about 5 mins of swimming, only to find it was not a person, but a black plastic bag.
I decided then to get rid of my cylinder, a nice steel 85. I had been in the water for an hour by this point, and I was getting tired, so I took off my BCD and dumped the cylinder, keeping the reg and computer. I checked my position, by now a long way off shore and decided to rest, sitting on my BCD. I had swallowed so much salt water that I was feeling sick, so I rested for 10 mins and decided that I would swim for a hour and rest for 5 min’s. That’s when I noticed that I had lost my regs. Bugger. I used the time to write a note to my sons on the plastic lens of the gauge with my knife – that’s how sure I was that I was a goner.
I started to swim back toward the land. I could see the moorings entrance as a straight shot into the docks. Later, I found this to be about 15 miles out to sea.
After what seemed to be forever, the swim started to get a little easier and for a short time the current stopped. As we know, it’s what is called slack water, and I made some decent headway back into shore, but by now someone should have been looking for me – or so I thought! (Rod was so worried that he had not gone in or radioed for help until we’d been in the water for 2 hours.)
I had been in the water for about 5 hrs at this point, and was, to say the least, very tired. I had seen two boats - one came within 25 yards of me, but I could not get their attention. I was too small a target, and sea to big. Besides which, the wind was always against me.
I wanted to get to the small island, so I was swimming toward it and resting for short periods, but the current was taking me in the wrong direction. By hour 6, I was burnt and sore, my mouth was so very dry, and I could not make any moisture in my mouth. I had read about not drinking salt water, and was doing my best to avoid it, but I was doing so involuntary anyway.
It was not looking good for me. I thought my fortune was about to change when a big motor cruiser came by. It was so close that I could see the steward serving drinks to a couple on the deck, but they never saw me, so I continued to swim. I noticed that my view of the island was different now. I could see St Georges, but the Moorings was obscured from my viewing angle. I could not see the construction of the new La Source hotel, but I was going back toward the island. I had to keep on trying to get to shore. By this time, I was in tears about the fact I had lost my buddy, and berating myself over the fact that it would not have happened if I had taken one of the fenders off the boat to use as a SMB, but at that point, I was doing all I could to survive myself.
At about hour 7, I saw a small airplane to the North of me. He was low, and seemed to be searching, but was not in my area, and his circles were to my North. I swam on, wishing for some relief. It gets dark around 6.30, and the lights go on in St Georges around 5.45. I had been out there for 8 hrs, and I was starting to worry about being out at night with no light at all. Just about then, I was under the flight path of the big planes into and out of the airport. I looked up to see an American Airlines plane above me with its gear down. I was thrilled to think that I was going back, but I was still so far out.
I was having a few dark thoughts, as I sat on my BCD, and as I looked around, I saw a small boat going toward St Georges. I took off my fin and blew and waved for all I was worth. I can’t express the thrill I felt when I saw him turn in toward me. As it turned out, by that time there was a huge search (by Grenada standards) going on, and my buddy had made land fall some hours earlier. I was dragged on board by Andre Patterson and my good friend Daddy-O.
I spent many weeks out of the water. I had lost a lot of skin from my neck, groin, legs and feet. I’d ingested so much saltwater that I was anemic. All the guys who came out to look for me filled up with gas at the marina, and the two small planes cost a huge amount. The local coast guard came out, but ran out of gas about 200 yards outside their base.
My buddy was lucky enough to have followed the plan. He swam in, then took his stuff off and climbed up and onto the runway of the airport. I was so pleased to hear he was ok and alive.
The lessons I learned were to ALWAYS use a SMB whenever diving off the boat in a current, the snorkel is NOT useless, and that mirrors, air horns, personal flare packs and “come-to-me” sausages are far from silly things. Most of all, however, I learned that I was not half as clever as I’d previously thought I was. The ocean has the ability to change very quickly and has no respect for any scuba agency.

scubadoguk:
The lessons I learned were to ALWAYS use a SMB whenever diving off the boat in a current, the snorkel is NOT useless, and that mirrors, air horns, personal flare packs and “come-to-me” sausages are far from silly things. Most of all, however, I learned that I was not half as clever as I’d previously thought I was. The ocean has the ability to change very quickly and has no respect for any scuba agency.

Quite a frightening story, and great points about SMBs, whistles, signalling devices, etc. Had you an SMB, I dare say your drift would have been interrupted.

Like the prior story, more wrong here than diving without a snorkel, for one, diving in a current without an SMB. To your credit, you have acknowledged that mistake.

But what am I missing about the snorkel? Where did you use it on this journey?

FOr the record, I don't dive with a snorkel because I think I am clever........

Chris

Nope. I snorkle with a snorkle, but I don't dive with one.

The vis in these parts means not being able to see the bottom in more than 10' of water most of the time anyhow, so there's no reason to be face down. I prefer surface swimming on my back anyhow. As for high seas, I time my breathing so I'm not inhaling while a wave is crashing down on me.

ChrisM:
Quite a frightening story, and great points about SMBs, whistles, signalling devices, etc. Had you an SMB, I dare say your drift would have been interrupted.

Like the prior story, more wrong here than diving without a snorkel, for one, diving in a current without an SMB. To your credit, you have acknowledged that mistake.

But what am I missing about the snorkel? Where did you use it on this journey?

FOr the record, I don't dive with a snorkel because I think I am clever........

Chris
Never had the snorkel on during the long drift :) the reason I use one is the raising and lowering of my head lost my skin
around the neck as I may have said every morning I have a reminder when I shave when the skin gets irritated.
Swimming on my back would have done no good I wanted at least see where I was going but every so often I would swim on my back float on the bc so I could at least try to get my breath back rest a bit ?
Take what you will from the story its true it happened, can't change that I was and still consider myself very lucky to be here today.
P.S tried to call Grenada today to check on my old mates and family still there could not get through, lots of dead and damage its very worrying.

Back
Top Bottom