Do you Dive with a Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow, I'm amazed at the score. Large majority don't use snorkels. I hate mine but old school me thought it would be foolish to not have it. I think I'm going to try to get used to diving without it.

Surface swim, when you are out of air (can't use the reg), kelp forest, you'd better have that snorkel ready..........

I always dove with a snorkel because that is how I learned many moons ago. But, I will now get mooned without it! Now that I'm switching to a long hose, a snorkel would pose a problem deploying the long hose.

I'm thinking of getting one of those roll-up snorkels and tossing it into the bellows pocket. I'll need a snorkel for going to Laguna anyway and don't really want to take my big 'ol snorkel that I've had since '79. There is just no great place to keep it during the dive. Also, I'd like one for long surface swims because I like looking at the scenery to pass the time on the way out or back.

Some people have told me that I may as well just breathe my tank on a surface swim because I really won't use that much gas. But old habits die hard and it seems like a waste of gas that I could use for more bottom time.

By the way, does anyone who uses these roll-up snorkels think that there is any practical difference between one and another?

Christian

Took mine off the minute I passed OW class and have never used it since. In Laguna, I carry it in my bc pocket, and the lifeguards are cool with it. I'm planning to take AOW this fall, and am dreading the thought of having to use the silly thing. My reasons are much like everyone else's, but my biggest concern is the fact that it hangs right where I expect my power inflator to be, and in an emergency I don't want to be fumbling around and grab the wrong thing.

I wear one. Rarely use it. Usally swim out on the back, but sometimes will do a bit of snorkling on the way out. But I could eaisly live without it.

I always wear one and use it on probably 99% of my dives.

Yes I do, for times when I am on the surface and want to conserve my air supply and when the ater is rough for airway control.
Times I do not wear a snorkel are:
When doing wreck diving...snag hazard.
when night diving I use 2 q40 mask light for my primary illumination and can't wear the snorkel when i am configured that way

I haven't carried a snorkle for years. After certification, I found that I never used it and it was an entanglement problem in the kelp. I used to carry one around in my gear bag, but finally stopped doing that, too.

Heck NO - see Max Botttomtime or Chris M for some nice reasons why. As for certain cert agencies or Draconian cities I strap my snorkel to the tank. It is nice and streamlined there, no snaggin either since it is tucked next to the BC.

we don't need no stinkin's snorkels
je

No, got rid of it early. Can't use it underwater, swim on my back on the surface. required during the course though. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom