Do you dive without......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Necessary depends on many things, divers were once water people, people who lived on and in the water, fishing, boating, working, whatever and were good swimmers, divers now, mostly cannot swim, they need a life jacket...

People who are obese/out of shape divers, which is about 75% of divers, need many aids to offset the fact that they are essentially disabled, and people largely today feel that safety is a right they were born with and again, that thinking simply does not apply to many of us from previous generations.
N

True. Sad, but true.

Splitlip:
The Scuba Club was owned and managed by Norine Rouse.

Norine was never the owner, although it was named after her until she was booted out in the late 80s/early 90s.

Splitlip:
Norine was so anti hunting, that by reports, she required distressed divers to drop their guns before boarding her boat.

That is true.

Thank you, Herman. I know working on my breathing and buoyancy are top priorities, and I got some practice in over the weekend. But what happens when you have no more weight to drop and still are negatively buoyant and 60' down? When I had the plastic backpack on there was no bladder- just an AL72 and my regs. Granted, the descent was gradual, but with no effort on my part. I know sans gear I can bob at the surface with my lungs fully inflated, but once I start exhaling I go down. And I know I'm not supposed to hold my breath. :) Is this really something that I'll be better able to control with continued practice? Or do I need to relegate myself to the "lead bottom" category and keep some sort of bladder as part of my setup?

You will get better as you gain experience, for now it is a good idea for you to keep your BC on but make sure it's completely deflated. That way you are ineffect diving with no bladder but at the same time it is available if you really have to have it. If you need a little positive bouyancy (and have weight to ditch) you can always wear a light wetsuit. A 3mm shortie will add several pounds of positive bouyancy. However, if you are not wearing a wetsuit (or wearing something that is neutral - the fleece I use adds warmth but is neutral) there is nothing to compensate for, your buoyancy will not change reguardless of depth. With no wetsuit, if you are neutral at the surface, you will be neutral at any depth. There is a point where the equipment is simply too negative to use without a bladder, common with tech gear and as it turns out, I can't (...well won't) use steel tanks or backplates for that exact reason. With no wetsuit, a plastic plate and an AL 80 in warm fresh water I am dead on neutral and overweighted with a steel 72. You will be amazed how much easier it gets as you gain experience.

Again, Herman, thank you. I always play through the what-if scenarios and like to have a worst-case-scenario plan (why my purse will never be tiny and my car trunk will never allow more than 1 person's luggage). So I want to have a plan for when I can't find my buddy or, even worse, if I'm unconscious and my buddy has to get me to the surface. I'd rather have something to assist him/her so we can both live to dive another day. Instead of my bulky jacket BCD, though, I think I'll look into a horse collar. Seems a little more compact. Unless you have any other suggestions...

I forgot to add, so far I haven't worn a wetsuit when diving. I'm sure some of my issues can be resolved simply by wearing one, but I really hate using them unless I absolutely have to. They always make me feel like I'm being choked. Do they make a scoop-neck version? Maybe they need to! Thanks again!

Never seen a low cut neck on a wetsuit but I like the idea. :) Hate them myself. As an alternative to a HC,a how about a small lift bag or SMB. Lots of lift and at the same time no big thing to keep up with. Another vintage option to the HC is a swim vest (basically a snorkle vest). These were commonly used back in the day before horse collars. You orally inflated them if you needed to add buoyancy.

I am sorry I missed this post earlier. Ironically, I was just going through some of my old gear and pulled out my US Divers Seahawk.
I love diving with no BC and my plastic back pack. Now i am wondering why I just spend $500 on a backplate and wing. At least I got my broken off steak knife for only $1. 100_3199.jpg

100_3200.jpg

There are a good many of us going back to the old ways, drag out your DH reg, get it serviced and come join us.

herman, Thanks, i never had the opportunity to dive the DH, I started out with a Calypso VI and although it's now on the shelf, it still works like a charm and it has never been serviced. I guess they don't make them like the used to.

This thread has took a life of its own.....keep it up I love the vintage pics!!!

herman, Thanks, i never had the opportunity to dive the DH, I started out with a Calypso VI and although it's now on the shelf, it still works like a charm and it has never been serviced. I guess they don't make them like the used to.

Well find one and join us. :)

If you (or anyone else for that matter) are in my neck of the woods, I always have a spare DH ( :rofl3: make that several) ready to dive. Be happy to put you in one and let you take it for a spin around the quarry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom