Do you ever service your SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one that was sticking so I bought a new one to replace it. I then opened it up just to see and it turned out to be easily repairable. .

How did you open it up?

Ricky,
G1138 ...thanks for the tip to use brass brush and your other thoughtful advise.

some vendors are shipping the hp spool w/ o-rings w/grease ..but your point is taken
I have new o-ring sets, but people talk about old rings "drying out"...odd since that usually occurs upon exposure to UV.
Some think that packing in silicone grease would prevent this??
I keep my o-rings dry in a ziplock.
Do you refurb or replace the inflator assembly?? How often would you take it apart?

Stew

Most of the time your o rings will be ok. You can swab them to look just slightly shiny to prevent any brittleness. But it rarely happens, even in a small room that's humidified by the compressor, my cased orings on the bench table don't look at all bad and some have been there for a couple years. So a ziplock is a good bet. Keep one in your save a dive kit, the others at home. And check your save a dive kit bi-annually to replace any over-exposed orings.

The inflator assembly I service every year now, for my personal units. I change out the orings in the inflator guts, but leave the deflator oring alone. The deflator Oring is a -110 size which is a special order. Usual inflator kits don't come stocked with that one, so I figure if I ever have to replace that one, just buy a new stand alone inflator. The main work of moving parts is two -006 orings in the guts. There are 3 other orings in the guts and Schrader nipple that just provide static sealing. Those often aren't problems, but are good to replace since you're there already.

I used to not service it and in 150 dives within 2 years, I never had problems. If you don't dive frequently you may have to service more as when the whole unit finally dries, that left over water that you just can't get out gives you salt crystals and corrosion sticks. Be best to do BC checks before your dive trip and service if you notice a stiff inflator.

The aquarium I work at, our BC's never get inflator service and we do about 7000 dives a year. This current batch is on it's second year and there's no issues. But the internals stay damp constantly. Realisitcally it's the drying and mineral/salt deposits forming that kills your o-rings and internals.

How did you open it up?

It was an Italian model, metal body with a screw top that did need some work to loosen because of corrosion at the start of the thread. I soaked in WD40 and flexed the whole case very slightly several times in a vice. Then finally I applied a metal worm gear hose clamp to the outside to get good traction without damage and was able to unscrew it.

It was an Italian model, metal body with a screw top that did need some work to loosen because of corrosion at the start of the thread. I soaked in WD40 and flexed the whole case very slightly several times in a vice. Then finally I applied a metal worm gear hose clamp to the outside to get good traction without damage and was able to unscrew it.

You mean like this one et al? I hadn't realized that the top screwed on.
DGX_SPG_Clear-480.jpg

Never have serviced one (other than new o-rings). Only time I throw them away is when I've been stupid enough to put the tank down on top of one and break the glass. My current one (a very ancient model) appears to be quite accurate because the few times I've intentionally run it down on air the needle read close to zero.

What's the best way to tell if your SPG is giving you an inaccurate reading? :D

I use hard Viton o-rings for the SPG with a durometer of at least 90. The softer o-rings are great in a static situation and these must turn when you need them to.

27:
What's the best way to tell if your SPG is giving you an inaccurate reading? :D
It needs to read zero when it's disconnected and approximate the fill pressure of the tank when it's put on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom