Do you guys ever get seasick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this the other day. As far as I can remember it has never bothered me to be on a boat. I have never thrown up on the boats or while I was diving. Has anyone had a throw up experience under the water while in the middle of a dive? :eek:
Ya know I don't know what I would do if that happened to me, because I freak out every time I vomit anyway, so I would probably try to get to the surface really quickly and end up hurting myself! I hope that does not ever happen to me!

Amber

:spew: Emesis is a great way to attract the fish!
It will go thru the exhaust ports if you did vomit.
Ranz

Do a search on "worst dive" to see my story on this subject.

Tom

I get seasick.
But I usually take Bonine and it works. But when I didn't... I was the first one off the boat and the last one to come back.

Once I spend the entire surface interval just swimming around near the boat, to relieve my suffering. And it was in NJ in the very end of October! (hypothermia felt prefferable to seasickness)

I hadn't in the past until I was on a boat in open ocean with 4-5 foot seas. See my signature line. :)

Triptone works great.

But I usually take Bonine and it works.

Good stuff...we were on a 25 footer out of NC a couple weeks back and the seas were 4-5 feet. 3 of 10 were spewing chum over the rail, but not me and my Bonine eating buddies. Sure, I felt like crap, but I was able to do my dives and not get sick.

Hi Amber,

There are only 2 kinds of people, those who have been seasick and those that are going to get seasick. There are a lot of people that are pretty luckly and for the most part don't get sick but if you spend enough time on the ocean, rivers and lakes don't count, you will get sick some time in your life. I am NOT a doctor or pretend to be one but the best preventive measure I have found is to take Bonine or Dramimine II. I take one the night before and one more the next morning before the boat ride, works great for me. I do suggest that you try it for the first time before your trip just to make sure you don't have any adverse reaction. Taking it just before you get on the boat gives you almost no protection, the med has not had enough time to work. The old Draminine made me very sleepy and about half sick, I found I prefered being seasick to taking that sruff.

Only once.

Late November, 30 degrees outside, 8-9 foot waves, diesel exhaust, long boat ride, small boat.

It made for the worst dive trip ever. I never did get to the wreck.

Oh boy do I - still go on liveaboards though..... It only seems to happen in the morning with the lovely smell of diesel, so if I'm sitting on deck looking out at the horizon please leave me alone......

Back
Top Bottom