Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

• I close eyes

Votes: 70 29.4%
  • My eyes stay open

Votes: 95 39.9%
  • Depends, I close eyes in certain conditions (eg salt, cold, particles)

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • My mask never comes off and I don’t get water in mask

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's a quick flood or mask removal/replace, I keep my eyes closed. Now, if my mask were to get lost or broken, I would open my eyes. I prefer not to as the water is cold and my eyes are pretty sensitive.

If you just squint a bit, you can keep your eyes open even with contacts (no, they won't fall out).

As for the idea that salt water "stings", take a guess at the salinity of your tears...

I have no problem opening eyes except that I dive with contacts. In all the years I've only lost one once and then I figured the vis had just gone to hell.

And the first time you put your hand up to your face to check if your mask is on, you know you have arrived...

When my mask gets dislodged, and sea water hits my eyes, I WILL be crying for a few minutes. It's an inconvenience to me because I have to keep blinking until finally the tears stop. I don't wear sunscreen/block so what gives?

What I also notice is that at fires, the other guys take their mask off after the fire is out but the smopke is still lingering, and it seems that if I do the same, I will spend the next 10 minutes blinking because I can't stop crying from the sting in my eyes.

So what is it? Some of us are just sensitive?

So what is it? Some of us are just sensitive?

Hey firefighter, you would be one of the guys running into a building that I would be running out of. "Sensitive" just doesn't seem to apply. It's just tolerance, practice and the sting will tolerate out.

Overtasking underwater can start the panic cycle. Being comfortable without a mask reduces the chance of being in an overtasked situation.

Stay safe, topside and below...

No big problem...I used to be one of those people that couldn't even go under water without a mask (or swim goggles) Now it's part of the territory, and it doesn't bother me.

The PADI Course Director that trained my two teens told me they called the training I too, where all the gear went underwater, to be donned before ascent, the "ditch and don routine", and that PADI dropped this years ago because it intimidated too many people. So my son and daughter were not trained in this for their PADI certs, but LONG before they earned their OW certs they could have done this, because of all the pool work and play we had done together.

I have had my mask kicked off by careless "buddies", or other divers crossing over or under me, and have had it torn from my face during rescue training. It is always good training to be able to function without, or recover your gear while under water.

Depends on how cold it is.

Back
Top Bottom