Do you listen to the Voice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony,

I just downloaded a boot by Lawrence Gonzalez, "Deep Survival: True Stories of Miraculous Endurance and Sudden Death." Corny title, interesting concept, Gonzalez is basically examining what makes people "survivors." One of the things he talks about is the little voice . . . and he's driving at the point that some people have what it takes to survive, while others don't.

This to me, is directly relevant to scuba. It isn't a matter of if, but when you will face panic underwater, and how you respond probably has a lot to do with whether you survive. Gonzalez is making a lot of points that I've already learned from scuba diving: slowing down, controlling panic, and listening to that little voice.

Long way around is that I certainly pay attention to such things. Butterflies are good, apprehension keeps us on our toes and keeps us humble, but when those butterflies crosses over to a voice saying "DON'T DIVE" I won't.

-Doug

I listen to the voice and then try to find a reason for it, if I don´t find a reason then I´ll dive anyway...

As a side-note I called my first dive (ever) last year, before we even left the docks, it was the right decision (for me)...I "push" less now than I did as a new diver...

with regards to diving i have heard the voice when i was going way beyond my comfort level or pushing the limits of my qualifications and training. if you ask me i may have been paranoid, narced or a combination of both. what i do know though is i have felt and heard the voice several times, usually when im about to make a dive and conditions are downright crazy and messed up. i have ignored the voice 95% of the time and ended up fine. the 5% time i listened to it is because i was with other divers who would not dive in the said conditions:) im certainly more prudent and responsible now as the "new" gungho diver mentailty has faded away.

as to hearing the voice on land, sounds like an alter ego or guardian angel or a combination of both

dsteding:
This to me, is directly relevant to scuba. It isn't a matter of if, but when you will face panic underwater, and how you respond probably has a lot to do with whether you survive. Gonzalez is making a lot of points that I've already learned from scuba diving: slowing down, controlling panic, and listening to that little voice.

It's interesting that you mention panic- I've had a few hairy moments underwater- nothing outright dangerous, but like the burst pipe, moments that set me off. I responded to them quickly and efficiently, but mentally, I was focused on one thing to the exclusion of everything else and I lost track of time, even though the moments might have only been half a minute or less. I did not stop to breathe to slow things down, I just attacked the problem and fixed it, almost reflexively. Thinking about it afterwards, I did everything right, but what scares me was how little rational thought was involved. I'll have to look into that book you mentioned.

I have had it and I listened.

An example:

Dive 1 was OK. The entry was a little surgy but we got in and out with a little effort. Well withing comfort zone and the dive was a nice one.

Came time for the second dive and I felt a little worn down and the surge had picked up. That voice said to sit it out. My buddy went in with the other buddy team while I did shore duty (didn't want to leave and miss eating out after!). One diver got caught in the surge on the rocky bottom went for a washing machine ride on entry or exit (I forget). His comment afterwards was that ,"it was a nice dive but I prefer to forget the entry and exit". Man and gear survived unscathed otherwise.

I've bagged a few others too. To me this is supposed to be for fun, not about taking chances that have in your face consequences. I'd rather miss a dive than have a great war story or worse.

Real life does not have an UNDO BUTTON. Reminding myself of this is a good tiebreaker when those voices in my head are arguing about lots of subjects, not just diving. I can rationalize almost anything and I need to watch myself.

Pete

I am glad to hear the I am not alone. Every new dive I hear a voice or voices some are good and some are bad. If I listen to them all I would never dive.

You're darn right I listen to "the voice".

Shoot, I'm trying to cultivate a lifestyle of listening to that gentle leading.

I've bagged dives when something 'felt' wrong. I've never regretted it.

But I've ignored my unease on occasion also, and once or twice I've really regretted doing that.

My perspective now is that there will always be another dive. If something feels wrong to me, I'll thumb the dive.

Its important not to be 'talked into' doing a dive you don't feel good about...IMHO.

The last time I ignored that little voice I found myself about 800' back in a cave, exhausted, realizing I had no business being there at all that day, with an 800' swim to get out, and the (my) dragon climbing my back.
That was not pleasant at all.
I'm much more likely to sit one out now than to push it.
Rick

Every once in a while I hear the voice. Usually we just review the dive plan and any potential hazards to make sure we are ready. Then we agree to go on with the planned dive. Only once did we ever cancel and we pretty much agreed on that on when we first looked at the dive site (river shortly after heavy rain).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom