• No, I don't own an emergency oxygen unit

Votes: 65 48.1%
  • Yes, I own an emergency oxygen unit

Votes: 59 43.7%
  • Other, please explain in comment.

Votes: 11 8.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember in my first aid class they said something to the effect of there are many conditions that can be improved with oxygen and only a few uncommon ones where it can be a problem so the default is everyone gets O2 if available. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, my card DID expire last year.
This will probably be TMI, but what else is new...

The big one you worry about oxygen administration harming the patient is if they have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), which is mostly long term smokers. The chronic damage to the lungs over years has left them at a low level of function, and so instead of responding to high liveles of CO2 in the blood and breathing harder like most of us do, the run on what it called hypoxic drive. Basically, when their oxygen level gets too low they breathe. These are people who run 70-90% SPO2 on room air or low flow oxygen all the time. The problem is that if you put them on high flow oxygen (10 lpm or greater) they will no longer be hypoxic and stop breathing. OK, that sounds bad, but follow the thought through... If they stop breathing they will again become hypoxic and the drive will start up again. Theoretically they could go into an arrhythmia, but the takeaway is that the danger is probably overblown.

That said, there is newer research that seems to indicate that supersaturating (SPO2 >95%) patients with ischemic tissue injuries (heart attacks and strokes) leads to poor outcomes because of free radicals in the bloodstream. I admit I am not totally clear on the mechanism, but our county protocols are to titrate oxygen delivery for a target of 95% in healthy people and to tolerate desaturation as low as 89% in COPD patients if that is normal for them. As always, treat the patient, not the numbers.

The exceptions are DCS / barotrauma and burns / smoke inhalation. In the first case, high flow oxygen IS definitive treatment, or can be anyway, and in the second products of combustion (Carbon monoxide and cyanides) competitively bind to the hemoglobin receptors and we cannot tell which is which in the field.

Just to throw more chaos in the mix...there is Commercial grade( welding ) O2, Aviation grade O2, and Medical Grade O2. It's the medical grade O2 what any diving kit get their lil green tanks typically filled with.

My local gas houses like Praxair save the aviation grade O2 for Boeing - their O2 is soooo dry there is like zero chance of condensation/ freezing happening in the line. And looking at those aviation grade prices - ha- they can have it.

A cutting torch will not work with moisture in it either.
If you research how o2 is decanted.
You will find water freezes long before o2 is a liquid.

They probably run it over a desiccant filter so they can really Jack the price,

I would definitely say yes. I am a new diver, however, I have been in prehospital and emergency medicine for over 25 years (civilian and military). It can be used for more than diving accidents as stated above. Also as previously stated as we age (about to turn 52 myself) there are new problems we need to be prepared for. I would like to note that just like scuba tanks you will need to have visual and hydro tests done regularly. I believe they may be more frequent than scuba tanks. I have looked at purchasing my own set as well. The set you linked was not a bad price and included a pulse oximeter. I also agree with Canadadan, An AED and first aid kit are a good idea. Look for a first aid kit from one of the tactical varieties. It will have a better selection of prehospital supplies than say a workplace first aid kit. Look closely at the included items. Search for what items are used for if you need to. Do not overpay for a bag full of stuff that you will not really need. They love to sell you overpriced bandaids and triple antibiotic ointment. You can buy those yourself at Walmart. Hope this helps.

Well, after my O2 provider course I reread this whole thread. Decided that since I already have an AL40 cylinder laying around going mostly unloved, and already have extra 1st stages and LP hoses, the RescuEAN seems like a no-brainer. I ordered the basic kit today for £100 / $130 including shipping to California. Thanks @tbone1004 for the recommendation.

The O2 provider instructor says I should have no trouble getting O2 fills at the LDS without requiring proof of accelerated deco training -- and, since he's a manager of the dive shop and does many fills himself, he's in a good position to give an honest answer.

Edit to add: any recommendations for a bag or box to keep the kit all together and safe? I was thinking the smaller DGX reg bag would be about the right size. On the other hand, it seems like the ideal container would be clearly labelled as an O2 kit, and the DGX bag material doesn't seem like it would take a decal sticker very well.

Edit to add: any recommendations for a bag or box to keep the kit all together and safe? I was thinking the smaller DGX reg bag would be about the right size. On the other hand, it seems like the ideal container would be clearly labelled as an O2 kit, and the DGX bag material doesn't seem like it would take a decal sticker very well.
There's a jillion O2/trauma bags available, in all sizes, for example this from Amazon. I bought one maybe 20 years ago that holds a D cylinder and all the O2 regs and masks for maybe $40, and it is still holding up fine. It just needs the zipper lubed now and then. If I didn't want a cylinder kin teh bag, I'd look at the Harbor Freight orange cases, like this, in several sizes.

I do not personally own an Oxygen Unit, but every boat that I dive on has one and there are several at work where I dive. There are also two Oxygen bank in the submarine I work on.

A cutting torch will not work with moisture in it either.
If you research how o2 is decanted.
You will find water freezes long before o2 is a liquid.

They probably run it over a desiccant filter so they can really Jack the price,
Yeah. From what I learned about the situation over here, medical and welding is the same banked O2, it's just a question of how it's handled towards the customer. An "empty" welding bank cylinder will just get topped up and sent back out to the customer, so in theory it could have impurities in it. For medical use the cylinder is emptied to a vacuum before being filled with O2 and shipped out, ensuring there's nothing unknown in there to begin with.

I do not personally own an Oxygen Unit, but every boat that I dive on has one and there are several at work where I dive. There are also two Oxygen bank in the submarine I work on.

Just want to note that in South Florida the charter boats "typically" carry O2, "typically" have the support equipment to use it, and "typically" also have people able to use it.

However I once was in one charter where I discovered there are exceptions. Coincidentally with a couple of people from here . During the SI a young guy started to complaint that he couldn't feel one of his legs ... There was a bit of commotion and few ridiculous things were said. Finally when O2 was requested is when the actual show started. Very long and scary story short: empty bottle of O2, nasty moldy mask and useless crew trying to put that crap together. Eventually the Coast Guard got to us and took control of the situation.

For me, that was one more reason to find my solution to avoid charters.

Just want to note that in South Florida the charter boats "typically" carry O2, "typically" have the support equipment to use it, and "typically" also have people able to use it.

However I once was in one charter where I discovered there are exceptions. Coincidentally with a couple of people from here . During the SI a young guy started to complaint that he couldn't feel one of his legs ... There was a bit of commotion and few ridiculous things were said. Finally when O2 was requested is when the actual show started. Very long and scary story short: empty bottle of O2, nasty moldy mask and useless crew trying to put that crap together. Eventually the Coast Guard got to us and took control of the situation.

For me, that was one more reason to find my solution to avoid charters.
This is why I mostly dive with boat crews that I know personally. Here in Hawaii on the Big Island I know most of them and the companies they work for. But also I don't do any challenging dives any more, just shallow and easy locations. Even at work everything is shallow, although sometimes physically demanding/.

Reactions: Ana
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom