Do you prefer a 90 or 70 degree adaptor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have them and use them. Prefer them to the angle adapters that I also have. I use them in backmount. I have a very long back so the 7' hose is a bit too short, so the ball swivel makes all the difference for me with a long hose, and with a short hose it's even better. I use and like the Cave Adventurers ones, no need to get the omni's in my opinion. Just take care of them.

Other than rinsing is there anything specific required in taking care of them? I notice CA sell a tool I'm assuming for assembling/disassembling, is this required for maintenance? Cheers.

I really don't see the point in the complicated ball swivels. The 90 deg (or 70/110 deg, if you prefer) elbows are cheaper, more reliable, and work just fine.

First of all, I've seen many more elbows than ball swivels fail. So there's that. I've seen 3 elbows fail, one of them belonging to someone mocking my ball swivels and how unsafe they were and how a nice, high-end elbow would NEVER fail! FILTHY PEASA----oh, the seam split? Man....that was awkward. Other than that, you're not fixed at an angle...which is nice. The CA ball swivels don't degrade performance, don't really fail, and come with spares. Only "failure" I've seen on a CA ball swivel was the screw wasn't tightened properly after my buddy pulled one apart to see how they worked and was leaking. One half-turn with an allen and it was back in business. The CA swivels are also $25, so hard to beat.

Back to your point, though: swivels are more reliable, cheaper, and function better. What's not to love? If the elbows work well for you, great. I still prefer swivels.

the balls aren't complicated, but when you check all of your hose connections prior to a trip, just make sure that the retaining bolt is still snug. I try to rotate the balls clockwise whenever I rotate them so it promotes tightening, but also use a small dab of blue loctite because I have had them separate. Other than that there is nothing special about them. I'm not sure what the CA tool is, didn't see it on the website, but I have no issues getting them apart with just the appropriate allen key.

edit: was I that buddy? I can't remember if that was one of the times mine separated.... Since then a dab of blue loctite and haven't had an issue.

I tried a 70 but it pulled a little too, for me 90 or 70 was 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Bought some swivels from CA, thanks Edd. I find them better than both fixed elbows but still notice it. Decided to add a SeaCure. Will post back for anyone who may be interested when they arrive.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2015 at 02:28 AM ----------

Oh and braiding on the 22 and 40 sometimes rub, scratchy scratchy, it annoys me a little.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2015 at 03:04 AM ----------

I was surprised how heavy they were.

Back
Top Bottom