Question Do you prefer someone help you set up your gear, or do you prefer setting up by yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem accepting help when offered...and desired. But I'd rather do my own hook up, tank strap setting and alignments.

Where I have issues are on those charters where the crew is often only working for tips and they don't ask, they just do. I especially have issue when I politely refuse their offer or ask them to not do something and they shoot me "that" look.

I'm sure you know what I mean by "that" look. It is the same one the wait staff at Denny's gives that says they think I'm a cheap bastage that won't tip, and they cannot wait for a chance to spit in my food.

Thing is, I'm a damn good tipper whether they touch my gear or not. What they don't realize is once they cop an attitude and display it on their face the level of my generosity tends to drop. It drops even further when they conspicuously stop engaging me altogether, or "dump" me off on one of the other hands, usually a noob hand.

Funny thing is the noob hand usually does a much better job of simply engaging me in general and ends up with a significant tip.

Do I still tip the hand that "dumped" me off? Yes, I will never stiff on a tip. But if the service is bad I'll tip at a level that leaves no doubt about the quality of that service.

Just my two pennies worth.

I'm almost entirely solo, sononbthe rare occasion that I am not having someone else offer help is kind of annoying. I also run a slightly weird configuration and so while well intentioned, questions about "Do you mean to run that hose that way" get old.

Setting up your own gear and taking it apart and cleaning yourself is that only way to know your own gear and identify if anything is requiring additional maintenance etc.

I have noticed that some places only give a rudimentary post dive dunk and don't pay attention to certain places like the LP inflator valve, not to mention keeping the first stage attached to a tank when rinsing it etc.

1710323924900.png

We generally give permission, and then check too. But yes, we've also had our gear set-up and then the crew turned off our air as we were jumping in (They later told us they always turn the valve as they help divers to the ladder trying to blame us for messing their routine!!!). Take three breaths before jumping in!

For me it’s not a preference, it’s an absolute. I setup, tear down & rinse my own gear. Period. It’s non-negotiable for me. That’s the only way to have full certainty your gear is handled properly. It’s also the only way to keep a close eye on the state of your gear dive after dive.

I set up my own gear. Always. Period.

Then I have a DM or at the very least my dive buddy check it after I do my own checks.

With the diving I do, Great Lakes, cave, local lakes and such, there are no DMs. I’ve never been on a dive led by a DM. You set up your own gear. No one is going to be setting up my rebreather but me.

Now if someone wants to help haul gear, hell, yes, I’ll take that help. I had a paid porter while diving in Mexico to haul gear on all the cenote steps. That was a luxury worth every penny.

when on vacation......

if diving double or single sm, i have never had any dm offer to set up my gear. lol and that is how it should be.

when diving single bm i have always set up my gear for the first dive. i always let my wife set up her gear for the first dive as well. we help each other if/when it is needed.

and although i have said previously that in general i personally do not want others touching my gear, the crew typically will exchange tanks when travelling from one dive site to the next. it would be dangerous in some cases to allow guests to do it while the boat is under way.

obviously i would double check everything before donning the gear.

but after i have checked the gear and am ready to splash, i prefer no one touches anything. i always said, if someone sees an issue that a diver may have missed, then feel free to point it out, or ask if they need help. i dont believe anyone should ever just assume they need or want your help without asking first.

when diving at home......

no one touches my gear unless i ask for help. and yes, sometimes we all need a little help time to time.

most places I have been, i set up my own gear.. I dive with a shop in the Dominican and they set it up, been diving with this guy for 7 years so I trust them. I still do my little check up though

As I know in some country, DM, dive guide, or maybe the boat crew helps you set up your gear, even changing bottles during SI. My wife thinks this is great service, because her husband will double check the gear for her, and also saves divers energy, saves time, and makes the diving tour easier, so we tip them.

Just for discussion, do you prefer someone help you set up your gear, or do you prefer set up by yourself?
It is my life support, so it's something I want to do myself. I don't even like the idea of someone doing it and then I check it over. Best I do it from start to finish.
Plus, I really don't mind. It's barely an inconvenience...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom