Do you still log your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I paper logged the first 150 or so, and then went to downloading my computer. But my Vytec died with twenty or thirty dives undownloaded in it. Then I went to a Tec2G and downloaded that, and then my Liquivision and download that, so I have dives in about four different places now. And I just borrowed a Vytec from somebody for a week, while my Aladin was down at Tobin's and my LV was in SoCal, and then found out it wouldn't download, so I lost some more dives there (forgot to manually record them before I sent it back). I think I'm somewhere around fifty dives behind what I've actually done now.

I was wondering if there comes a time when you stop logging your dives and just dive? I only have 9 logged dives and can't wait to log my next dives. I talked with my brother who was certified in the 1970's and he said he doesn't keep a log. Just wondering if you experienced divers still log.

Just to go on the record, I'm NOT an experienced diver, but even then I know it's important to log dives. Two reasons are the fact that some dive operators ask to see a log before letting you dive with them, and certain advanced levels of dive education require a dive log

I started with a paper log in a small booklet. When it was full, the same booklet wasn't available, so i got another type. In no time there were five different types and sizes.

After that, I started logging in a computer program that didn't had all the fields and features i wanted to.
Finally i put al my wishes in a spreadsheet and am still using that. It took some weeks to fill all the old data in there.
After every day of diving the sheet is filled with the new data, including a link to the images. When away from home i write down as much a possible on a blocknote.
All locations are kept on a separate sheet.

I wish I would have started logging from my first dive. I only have 10 dives total so I had to go off of memory the best I could until I started diving with a computer around 5 or 6 and just got the info from that. My log will go everywhere with me now.

I love my dive and jump logs :)

I don't really log dives unless you count downloading dive computer.

I might remember things like where I was or what weight I used. I might help my dive photography by logging camera settings and set up. Man, who wants to do all that remembering. Now I just look at the pictures. (picasaweb.google.com/perkins.chuck)

I am ashamed to say that there was a lapse of some years during which I did not log my dives. When my kid started diving, I started logging again and recreating some of the dives I remembered but had not logged. I realize that it gives me info for when I go back to a site or when someone needs info on a site. It also brings back memories.

I log all of my dives for the last 5-6 years. before that I was doing mostly commercial work, so we didn't log dive data, more just bottom, location and area survey info. It as a reference for future trips to the more productive areas. Now I mostly travel dive and I record all of the dives we make. I also try and pick up any LDS info, area maps, dive sight maps, etc and keep these with the dive log. That way if we return at a later date, I have all of the information for that area to set up another trip or to pass the info on to friends that are traveling to the same areas.

Yes, I keep detailed records in the book. Can't get into the computerized log thing like many do now. I plan my 120th in 3 years Jan. 4 in the atlantic off Nova scotia--7 mil wetsuit....

I quit using formal log books after about 150 dives and bought a semi-hard bound 3"x4" diary-type booklet. I register 3-4 dives per page primarily to count and identify each dive. If anything of interest occurred (novel fish, conditions, etc.) it is noted. Also, I keep a record of accommodations, restaurants and other issues related to travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom