Do you Travel with Your own gear or Not ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing I leave behind are my lead weights and dive knife. No tanks, i don't own one. With a ten to fifteen kilos weight limit on some planes (especially flights going to Palawan) it is better to weigh your crate with all your diving stuff before goin to the airport and have it checked in.

jonix:
i bring everything. i don't want to rent safety gear.

:D

You'd start thinking twice about this once you start doing overseas dive trips...
Unless you're loaded of course...taking 2 cylinders, 25lb weights won't be a problem then...lol

I take my regs, travel BC (Zeagle Scout) fins, dive comp, wetsuit, mask and snorkel. and yes, I do most of my dives overseas (12 of my 16) what's the point of buying all this great expensive gear if you don't use it?

Z....

I bring all my gear, except for tanks and weights. Otherwise, whats the point of buying your own equipment. I do admit, its a pain in the a## when going through security. Almost always, they will open up your bag and look at your reg, camera, and everything else. On my last trip to the Philippines, the TSA did not allow my pony bottle on the plane, even though the valve was not attached to the bottle.
In the end, its still worth the trouble carrying all that gear. My $0.02 worth.

Everything but the BC, a BC is a BC is a BC, too much room in the luggage for no reason. Unless your one of them BPW types who treat it like a baby :)
I have been to the PI a load of times, never had a problem with the rental gear.

I take my gear when I travel. I went to Puerto Rico this past June and I took everything but the drysuit. The boat captain and DM laughed when I pulled out my soft weights.

I know my gear and how it dives. I also know that it has been properly serviced.
You do have to watch your luggage weight. Sometimes getting thru security checks can be rough. Reg, computer goes in the carry on. Everything else in checked luggage. I have never traveled with my tanks.
I will continue to pack my own gear.

mrstein:
I AM really thinking of bringing all of my gear with me to the pinas to dive ,however its such a pain in the butt to carry all that stuff.

Problem is that I have very big feet Size 16 So fins are usually a problem for me wherever I go to.

I have rented before with No problems mostly everything but Fins never fit right for me.

What would you do and Bring if anything ??????? I will be diving Malapascua and Moalboal for the most part and maybe Sabang Maybe ....

Any inputt would be great .......

If you think the fins will be a problem, at least bring the fins.

I'd also bring all my stuff (no matter if I'm travelling public or private!) excluding tank and weights, but what the others said: Be careful about the weight limit.

On that note: didn't someone mention a while back that Cebu Pacific flights are diver luggage friendly? Might want to look into that if you're bringing all of it.

O CRAP!!!! my dive bag is in the garage and my c8 is there and so are the cells WITH ONLY 1 DIVE ON IT!!! CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

damnation! more money for the energizer bunny...

Jag

I take everything, including my video camera housing (24 lbs on land) and 2 video lights... If my wife and I drive somewhere, we pretty much have to keep the top on the convertible down, so that everything can fit. (She shoots stills, and carries a housing, ikelite strobe, etc)

Take YOUR stuff... That's why you bought it. right?

Back
Top Bottom