Do you wear a snorkel?

Do You Still Wear a Snorkel? Yes, No, and Why.

• Yes, because I was taught that way, habit, etc.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Yes, because I still use it at the surface to conserve tank air.

Votes: 52 22.5%
  • No, it gets in the way of my BC inflator, pulls my mask, etc.

Votes: 88 38.1%
  • No, I just never used it.

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • I carry a fold up snorkel.

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
yes.

yes.

yes.

make sure it is a good simple one, no folds, valves, etc. (one that works, and that you can clear easily)

I second Catherine's motion above.

I quit wearing mine cuz, as kirwood stated, it bugs the heck outta me. I mean i really HATE it. It flopps around, gets in the way, and generally annoys me during my entire dive.

So I gave it to my wife.

I don't dive with a snorkel unless I have to- usually DM for a class. I prefer to use the reg rather than my snorkel. For the conditions that I dive in, it's quite remote that I would actually need a snorkel- quarries, caverns, boat diving in the Great Lakes.

I have noticed that the divers who do use a snorkel were trained to use it and are quite proficient and comfortable with it. My friends who were YMCA trained are quite comfortable with snorkels- probably because the first 4 weeks of their class are just swimming and snorkeling skills. They are just as comfortable with a snorkel in their mouths as they are with a reg.

A snorkel is just a tool. . . not needed on most scuba dives, and can cause mask flooding if bumped underwater. If, when the tank is empty, you're faced with a long surface swim, it is easier to swim a distance with a snorkel. I carry a folding snorkel in my BC pocket when diving a way from shore. Not a necessary addition, but more useful to me than a pony bottle or a lot of other "extras".

I haven't worn mine in years as I don't like how it pulls at my mask and have never needed one (i'm sure one day i'll need one say dang it, it's on the boat! :D )
but i was just thinking about storing it somewhere on my bp/w similar to what lmorin described.

lmorin:
What do you mean by 'wear?" I have found a very pleasant compromise to the traditional "on your mask strap" location by rigging a storage spot on my BCD behind my right shoulder (top point is a loop of bungee cord attached to the weight pocket), extending to the bottom of the BCD where an octo holder (made from more bungee) holds the mouthpiece. The snorkel is almost completely out of sight (hidden by the overlying bladder), but easily removable with one hand. Out of sight, out of mind (at least, until needed).

I'm going to purchase one I can stow away neatly, but I won't have it attached to my mask permanently...EVER.

I couldn't wait to dump the snorkel - during my OW class I kept tugging on it instead of my inflator. I eventually got a roll-up one that fits in a pocket. it works great unless you are trying to enter through serious surf. Then, it's like trying to breathe off a piece of spaghetti. I am in a program now that advocates surf entries on snorkel instead of regulator, and I have to say I am becoming a convert. Less air consumption, more comfortable breathing (I often feel like I'm over-breathing the reg during a particularly tough surf entry), and it gives me something to hold onto as my mask is being ripped off my face. But I still don't like it hanging around underwater. I think I'll also try some kind of a set-up like lmorin described: that sounds like the best of both worlds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom