Do you wear a snorkel?

Do You Still Wear a Snorkel? Yes, No, and Why.

• Yes, because I was taught that way, habit, etc.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Yes, because I still use it at the surface to conserve tank air.

Votes: 52 22.5%
  • No, it gets in the way of my BC inflator, pulls my mask, etc.

Votes: 88 38.1%
  • No, I just never used it.

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • I carry a fold up snorkel.

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

somewhereinla:
I use a snorkel all the time and I am always surprised to hear people that don't. A snorkel is a very important piece of safety equipment as well as a very usefull one. I guess most certification agencies don't stress the importance of the snorkel enough.
Actually, all certification agencies I am aware of require a snorkel for basic Open Water classes.

Just curious ... how does wearing a snorkel make you a safer diver?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, Bob, glad that you asked. My answer is that at the surface in open water you are a snorkeler and no longer a diver. Twice in my career I had to drop my rig and swim, once to the shore with a distressed diver intow (~300meters) and the other to the boat alone (~150meters) - used the snorkel both times. Also, as mentioned above, floating in the waves waiting for the zodiac is made so much easier using a snorkel...

i love the elitism when it comes to snorkel or not...i expect soon there will be a acronym'd group proudly being pro or against the humble snorkel

i have no issue with carrying my brightly coloured yellow snorkle.... i can say on a number of dives it has assisted in bringing me back to shore safely and ive come out of the water thinking im glad i continue to carry it

cheers

I wear mine cause i know as soon as i take it off the mask i'm gonna wish i had it. Besides i don't like wasting tank air on the surface while swimming out on a shore dive, and i like to look down into the water to see what is down there:)

although, i have seriously thought about ditching it.

lmorin:
What do you mean by 'wear?" I have found a very pleasant compromise to the traditional "on your mask strap" location by rigging a storage spot on my BCD behind my right shoulder (top point is a loop of bungee cord attached to the weight pocket), extending to the bottom of the BCD where an octo holder (made from more bungee) holds the mouthpiece. The snorkel is almost completely out of sight (hidden by the overlying bladder), but easily removable with one hand. Out of sight, out of mind (at least, until needed).

Love this idea...my snorkel gets in the way sometimes, but I love it for surface swims and choppy water! May have to try this!

One thing I don't understand is people saying they don't want to waste air on the surface. If you are not diving doubles what's the difference? You won't get a refund for the air you don't use and I always switch out tanks no matter how much air I have left.

I don't wear a snorkel but I do keep one in my dive bag for SI snorkeling, if it's a long one and also a collapsing one to put in my BC pocket if the seas are really rough.

almitywife:
i love the elitism when it comes to snorkel or not...i expect soon there will be a acronym'd group proudly being pro or against the humble snorkel

i have no issue with carrying my brightly coloured yellow snorkle.... i can say on a number of dives it has assisted in bringing me back to shore safely and ive come out of the water thinking im glad i continue to carry it

cheers

Almity, You are so right! I find these debates amusing. (but alas here I am) Does anyone really care one hoot whether I use a snorkel or not? I sure don’t. Bottom line, if you like one – use one. If you don’t, then don’t. Arguing the merits of using/not using one is silly. I appreciate hearing why people use one or not but I ignore the posts that attempt to convert others to their POV.

Dave

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, all certification agencies I am aware of require a snorkel for basic Open Water classes.

Just curious ... how does wearing a snorkel make you a safer diver?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll answer that one....Is it easier to do a surface swim(with maybe a 1-2 ft. chop present) by mouth only or with a snorkle in your mouth????.......Alex,.....I'll take the snorkle in my mouth, please.......

Nobody, including the instructor, has worn one in my tech diving course.

I do find them useful when I am snorkeling on a non-diving day...but not when I am diving.

I wear a snorkel on every dive ,have for the last 30 years.This past year at sting ray city on grand cayman I had to remove it because they won't let you dive with the rays with a snorkel because you might injure a ray.That is the only dive I can remember not wearing a snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom