Do you wear a snorkel?

Do You Still Wear a Snorkel? Yes, No, and Why.

• Yes, because I was taught that way, habit, etc.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • Yes, because I still use it at the surface to conserve tank air.

Votes: 52 22.5%
  • No, it gets in the way of my BC inflator, pulls my mask, etc.

Votes: 88 38.1%
  • No, I just never used it.

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • I carry a fold up snorkel.

Votes: 28 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad I brought my snorkel on a previous dive trip, used it to snorkel at a great snorkeling site during the long surface interval.

Half and half. I mostly shore dive in Monterey and it depends on the conditions. If the water is nice and calm, I won't have it with me. I kick out on my back and use my compass heading to guide me out. If the water is rough, or I'm doing a boat dive, definitely. It is cumbersome at times and gets in the way, but I just deal with it.

Dave Zimmerly:
This subject has been debated many times before on this board. Do a search and see what other divers have said.

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt"):deadhorse: http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif
Wouldn't it be interesting to do a search and see how many times other people have said "do a search" ... :shakehead

With over two and a half million posts on this board, I'd be willing to bet that doing a search on any given topic will net you about 99% of responses that have absolutely nothing to do with your question.

I've got a better idea ... if you have nothing to contribute, don't post to the thread.

On to the topic ... I don't wear a snorkel unless I'm planning to go snorkeling. Where I dive locally, snorkeling isn't really practical. So unless I'm either teaching ... where it's required ... or in a tropical place where I can actually snorkel I don't wear one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wear one, in my BC pocket. They are a PITA, but the one time I left home without it, I surfaced down current and had a long, uncomfortable swim back to shore on my back, got sunburned on my face.....

Like others have said, It is great for off shore dives when you are waiting for your buddy to get in the H2O, so you don't bleed off 500lbs as they fix their fins, spit in their mask, search for their reg...etc.....

Also, the low air situation with a long swim back to the boat , a snorkle would be great to have.

Thirdly, if you are a Rescue Diver, and you need to jump off the boat to conduct a rescue, a snorkle would be a great thing to have readily attached to your mask as well.

Yeah, I wear a snorkle, just bought a new one today, my old one was purchased 20 years ago....the plain and simple kind as Catherine mentioned. I bought a "no flood" this time, just to try out, seems pretty neat, it keeps waves from dumping sea water in your snorkle...we'll see ....

Mr. B

but i was just thinking about storing it somewhere on my bp/w similar to what lmorin described.

How about some pictures?

I don't wear one when I dive, but have it in the bag. I use it when wife wants to snorkle and thats pretty cool.

NWGratefulDiver:
Wouldn't it be interesting to do a search and see how many times other people have said "do a search" ... :shakehead

Hey, you should do a search instead of posting about that!

:rofl3:

On topic: Snorkels are for snorkeling. I dive :eyebrow:

Someone got to asking about snorkles a day or 2 ago.....here's my reply( & I usually don't wear one, but luckily I went to one wanting more bottom time ie not wasting any precious air on the surface)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherdvm
Where are the snorkels? You are going to die if you don't wear snorkels!!!

Not enough color coordination. How dare you take scuba without brighly colored gears and wetsuit.

Shame on you. Why don't you just join the DIR forum and leave us alone!!

...diver 85....(quote)....
"Don't you realize they're all too good to wear snorkles....btw, one saved my life( I believe) 115 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico 7/19/07 while diving an oilrig......"

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...tuesday071107/
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...Cmonday070907/
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...Cfriday071307/
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...hursday071207/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by diver 85

I use a snorkel all the time and I am always surprised to hear people that don't. A snorkel is a very important piece of safety equipment as well as a very usefull one. I guess most certification agencies don't stress the importance of the snorkel enough.

Back
Top Bottom