Doc Deep plans 1200' Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It must be me, but listening to the narration of this video, makes me cringe. When the announcer says, "Who has the balls..." to undertake such an endeavor, I shake my head in amazement. If such a feat is an indicator of fearlessness, then I'm out. Stepping out of a humvee in some strange country thousands of miles away from home takes "balls". Struggling every day to keep a roof over your head and your family fed takes "balls". Putting aside your own personal gain to help others takes "balls". Everyone has their own stories of courage to share. To me personally, this isn't one of them.

I get that he is going a very deep ways underwater, but seriously.... you look like a tool with all those tanks on you.
HHUV24Y.png

What kind of "Doctor" is this guy anyway??

I believe is this doctor here:
St Croix Physician Ear Nose Throat | Dr. Guy Garman

Maybe you guys are being a little bit too harsh on him. I believe the video is a little bit too much; nevertheless, he is free to go into such endeavor if he wishes, and many things that we can do now on scuba are only possible because of some "crazy people" who in the past went beyond what was the normal back then.

I like to see human beings to go beyond the current limits, I like seeing records broken - in athletics I get really excited to see records broken, this year was thrilled with Steph Curry 3-point shooting on the playoffs. I am one cheering for the guy - pun intended.

Wait.... Does he do that with just a wet suit? According to Wikipedia, the temperature in deep water is between 0 °C (32 °F) and 3 °C (37 °F).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_ocean_water

Wait.... Does he do that with just a wet suit? According to Wikipedia, the temperature in deep water is between 0 °C (32 °F) and 3 °C (37 °F).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_ocean_water

That will encourage him not to do any deep stops. I had a friend do a 700+ dive recently, and her deco was over 5 hours. She would never have made it on open circuit.

Keeping a dry suit from clamping down and paralyzing him would take quite a bit of gas. I suppose you could use argon, to help minimize heat loss. The volume changes at those depths are going to be pretty small the last few hundred feet, but ambient pressure is going to be something like 500 psi greater than the surface pressure. Just to keep breathing he is going to have to take a ton of gas bottles with him, and then a separate bottle of argon. He might survive this dive, but my guess is that one of these stunts will eventually kill or cripple him.

As for pushing ahead the field of science, I don't see him working with any major medical institute or the navy to learn any thing from this dive. And reguarding the size of his balls... I imagine they could get quite large by the time they reach the surface if bent at depth. I wonder if there is such a thing as a "testicular embolism"?

I believe is this doctor here:
St Croix Physician Ear Nose Throat | Dr. Guy Garman

Maybe you guys are being a little bit too harsh on him. I believe the video is a little bit too much; nevertheless, he is free to go into such endeavor if he wishes, and many things that we can do now on scuba are only possible because of some "crazy people" who in the past went beyond what was the normal back then.

I like to see human beings to go beyond the current limits, I like seeing records broken - in athletics I get really excited to see records broken, this year was thrilled with Steph Curry 3-point shooting on the playoffs. I am one cheering for the guy - pun intended.

nobody said that he isn't free to attempt this dive. However, in the same respect everyone is free to call him a crazy egomaniac for attempting it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom