Doc's Pro Plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myself

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, one of my dive buddies has been having issues with his ears not equalizing and he feels like he has water is his ears after the dive as well. I just heard about a product called doc's pro plugs and I wondered if these might help.

Also, if you guys have other recommendations I would love to hear them. I know that there are a few things out there, for example we have considered an IST pro ear mask, buy I don't have enough experience with such things to know if it would work well.

So, one of my dive buddies has been having issues with his ears not equalizing and he feels like he has water is his ears after the dive as well. I just heard about a product called doc's pro plugs and I wondered if these might help.
I use the vented pro plugs and they help me alot. You can find a fair number of discussions about them on this board. I think the only way to know is to try them.

I've used Doc's Pro Plugs for a while and they absolutely help. The only problem is that they do not stay in place well unless you either wear a hoodie or cap, or place the mask strap across the ears to hold them in place.

I have also been using a product called Ear Shield which I like a lot. I've always had problems with water draining from my ears after submersion. But just a couple of squirts in ear ear before diving coats the ear canal and the water instantly drains when my head comes out of the water. At first I used both together but lately, I've been using the Ear Shield only since the plugs are a little bit of a nuisance at times, both for the reasons I stated above and also just keeping up with them.

But all that being said, neither will help your friend equalize. That is something he is going to have to figure out a way to do regardless of using either product. Even using the plugs and the spray I would have problems with my ears as I was using the Valsalva method of equalizing. I finally figured out how to equalize using my jaw and my ear problems have virtually disappeared. I found that moving my jaw forward is quite easy for me and I can equalize at will. You don't say what method of equalization your friend uses but there is a thread going now about the different methods. Avoid the Valsalva Maneuver for Equalizing!

They do help me equalize. Why who knows, there are theories out there, but as long as it works I’m good with that.
Great, I'm glad for you. I just never could tell a difference in equalizing when using the plugs as opposed to not using them. I usually struggled to equalize either way using the Valsalva method.

They do help me equalize. Why who knows, there are theories out there, but as long as it works I’m good with that.
Interesting. I've been under the impression that Doc's Pro Plugs are intended solely to prevent swimmers ear and similar conditions.

I've used Doc's Pro Plugs for a while and they absolutely help. The only problem is that they do not stay in place well unless you either wear a hoodie or cap, or place the mask strap across the ears to hold them in place.

I have used Pro Plugs on a dive without a hood, and they stayed in fine. But, I was worried about them the whole time. I think mine probably fit my ears exceptionally well.

Doc's pro plugs has a few sizes, and a dive shop should let you try them out. I purchased mine during covid, and we just had to use an alcohol wipe on them before and after trying them on.

I have used Pro Plugs on a dive without a hood, and they stayed in fine. But, I was worried about them the whole time. I think mine probably fit my ears exceptionally well.

Doc's pro plugs has a few sizes, and a dive shop should let you try them out. I purchased mine during covid, and we just had to use an alcohol wipe on them before and after trying them on.
Yeah, we went thru the procedure with the sizing template and got the size that the dive shop said I should have. I've even gone up a size and tried those but they just won't stay in my ears without something to hold them in.

Back
Top Bottom