Doc's Pro Plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used them. They work well as far as keeping water from going FAR into my ears. I find the same result using my hood. I never use both hood and Doc's because it gets a bit messy. I have no idea why they would actually help with equalising since I have no problem with that, but also because I would think you could equalise best with nothing in your ears-- but maybe there is a reason they help?

I had problems equalizing early on and they absolutely helped. Just got some for my step daughter for the same reason. After a while I didn't need them anymore but they were amazing when I did.

Personally, I would never use an ear plug, even a vented one. If the vent got clogged, it can cause an ear drum rupture, outward. Why use a vented plug, instead of just letting the water into the ear? It seems that some water will need to enter through the vent in order to equalize the pressure anyway.

Now, if the problem is water remaining in the ear, you might want to have a physician look and see whether you have a lot of ear wax buildup in the ear. If so, get it cleaned out.

SeaRat

Personally, I would never use an ear plug, even a vented one. If the vent got clogged, it can cause an ear drum rupture, outward. Why use a vented plug, instead of just letting the water into the ear? It seems that some water will need to enter through the vent in order to equalize the pressure anyway.

Now, if the problem is water remaining in the ear, you might want to have a physician look and see whether you have a lot of ear wax buildup in the ear. If so, get it cleaned out.

SeaRat
Everyone's ears differ. Water deep into the ear sent my brother to the hospital once-- just from body surfing. I tend to get (I guess) bad swimmer's ear if water gets in there too deep. Plus it rattles around in my head until I guess it evaporates. I have solved the problem by usually using ear drops after a dive day. But the plugs do keep the water from going in too deep. I don't worry about the pin hole getting clogged. I think there would be pain and I could remove the plug before forcing a descent while it hurts (maybe not, it's never happened).
I'm not an ear doctor, but I don't know if wax build up is a cause of water staying deep in the ear. I doubt I have any build up since I Q tip my ears after each daily shower. But the water would still be a hassle for me without the drops-- even at times with the plugs.

Everyone's ears differ. Water deep into the ear sent my brother to the hospital once-- just from body surfing. I tend to get (I guess) bad swimmer's ear if water gets in there too deep. Plus it rattles around in my head until I guess it evaporates. I have solved the problem by usually using ear drops after a dive day. But the plugs do keep the water from going in too deep. I don't worry about the pin hole getting clogged. I think there would be pain and I could remove the plug before forcing a descent while it hurts (maybe not, it's never happened).
I'm not an ear doctor, but I don't know if wax build up is a cause of water staying deep in the ear. I doubt I have any build up since I Q tip my ears after each daily shower. But the water would still be a hassle for me without the drops-- even at times with the plugs.
People's ears differ slightly individual to individual, but each of us has the same basic anatomy of the ear. There is the outer ear, the ear drum, the middle ear, and the inner ear. What you are describing is the outer ear canal, which is very much the same in all humans.

Now, about your claim of swabbing your ears daily with Q-tips so as to prevent wax buildup. It doesn't, and I've had ear-nose-and throat docs (otolaryngologists) tell me never to put anything smaller than my elbow into my ear! Here's a better article about why not to use Q-tips:

Now, about that "deep within the ear" statement; it's not possible for water to go deep within the ear. It is stopped by the eardrum (tympanic membrane). What you are describing is a partially blocked ear canal, whereby the water cannot get out because of a buildup of either earwax or other crud in the ear canal. Take a good look at the diagram of the ear in the photo below.

Now, you talked about your brother sent to the hospital by body surfing. Body surfing can cause fairly high pressures almost instantaniously on the ear, which could cause a rupture. But what you describe sounds more like an infection caused by all the goop that could have been deposited into the ear canal by the breaking wave in shallow water.

Now, about these ear plugs, even ones with a pin hole in them--they can cause problems. Yes, they can keep water out, but they also create an artificial closed (or potentially closed) air space, with a barrier. Clearing the ears then provides equalization between the air pressure in the middle ear and the outer ear, provided that pressure is allowed through that ear plug. If it is not, then there is this artificial air space which doesn't get equalized. This can cause the ear drum to distend outward, and if the diver continues to dive deeper, to rupture outward. It is an outer ear squeeze caused by the ear plug. The other thing is that it may not be as painful as a middle ear squeeze, where the eardrum is pressed inward by the increasing pressure. This is because the ear responds to the eardrum bending inward, as the bones are interconnected in the inner ear; it may not respond with pain to an outward movement of the eardrum.

We in the diving instruction business (I'm NAUI Instructor #2710) have been cautioning against using ear plugs of any type for many decades now. Apparently there is a product out now with a pinhole that divers are using; I wouldn't! Rather, go to an ear doc or your physician and get your ears physically examined. (S)He will be able to tell you whether you have a wax buildup, or an ear canal abnormality that could cause water to stay in the ear.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, CSP(Retired), CIH(2006-2017),* MSPH
*CSP = Certified Safety Professional; CIH = Certified Industrial Hygienist

Attachments

• Diagrom of the EAr.png
    Diagrom of the EAr.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 55
People's ears differ slightly individual to individual, but each of us has the same basic anatomy of the ear. There is the outer ear, the ear drum, the middle ear, and the inner ear. What you are describing is the outer ear canal, which is very much the same in all humans.

Now, about your claim of swabbing your ears daily with Q-tips so as to prevent wax buildup. It doesn't, and I've had ear-nose-and throat docs (otolaryngologists) tell me never to put anything smaller than my elbow into my ear! Here's a better article about why not to use Q-tips:

Now, about that "deep within the ear" statement; it's not possible for water to go deep within the ear. It is stopped by the eardrum (tympanic membrane). What you are describing is a partially blocked ear canal, whereby the water cannot get out because of a buildup of either earwax or other crud in the ear canal. Take a good look at the diagram of the ear in the photo below.

Now, you talked about your brother sent to the hospital by body surfing. Body surfing can cause fairly high pressures almost instantaniously on the ear, which could cause a rupture. But what you describe sounds more like an infection caused by all the goop that could have been deposited into the ear canal by the breaking wave in shallow water.

Now, about these ear plugs, even ones with a pin hole in them--they can cause problems. Yes, they can keep water out, but they also create an artificial closed (or potentially closed) air space, with a barrier. Clearing the ears then provides equalization between the air pressure in the middle ear and the outer ear, provided that pressure is allowed through that ear plug. If it is not, then there is this artificial air space which doesn't get equalized. This can cause the ear drum to distend outward, and if the diver continues to dive deeper, to rupture outward. It is an outer ear squeeze caused by the ear plug. The other thing is that it may not be as painful as a middle ear squeeze, where the eardrum is pressed inward by the increasing pressure. This is because the ear responds to the eardrum bending inward, as the bones are interconnected in the inner ear; it may not respond with pain to an outward movement of the eardrum.

We in the diving instruction business (I'm NAUI Instructor #2710) have been cautioning against using ear plugs of any type for many decades now. Apparently there is a product out now with a pinhole that divers are using; I wouldn't! Rather, go to an ear doc or your physician and get your ears physically examined. (S)He will be able to tell you whether you have a wax buildup, or an ear canal abnormality that could cause water to stay in the ear.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, CSP(Retired), CIH(2006-2017),* MSPH
*CSP = Certified Safety Professional; CIH = Certified Industrial Hygienist
Thanks for the detailed info. John. Your knowledge obviously exceeds mine (which isn't hard since mine is none....).
Now that I think of it (it was 1969 when my brother had the problem), it probably was an infection as you say, as I don't recall him having that problem since then.
Your info. about it not really hurting that much with a blocked pin hole even if the diver continues to descend is disturbing for sure. I used regular ear plugs for decades while snorkeling (before I was a diver) and dived down to collect shells to maybe 8 feet or a bit more. I figured the pain I began to feel at maybe 8 feet was what would happen if you dived with a blocked Doc's pug on scuba. You have given me cause to think about using the plugs again. Actually, I've rarely used them because 99% of the time I'm hooded anyway, which as I said, seems to keep the water in the ear at bay. In the pool for courses and on tropical trip are the occasions I recall.
Only thing I may still disagree with you on is the Q Tips. Of course I've heard all opinions on this before and about the "elbow" thing since I was a kid (and discussed it here on SB). All I can offer is I've used them after every shower (I shower maybe 360 days a year) since maybe my teen years (late '60s) with no ear problems at all. But of course I don't, like, dig to China in there, and as you agree, there are at least slight differences from one person's ears to another. My lack of ear problems over that time can't be just luck.

I should clarify that when I say water going "deep" into the ear I don't mean like into the inner ear, etc.
I mean it goes far enough in that it won't trickle out when you do the tip head and shake thing. But as I said, using ear drops solves that for me.

Tom,

I am glad that you enjoyed the information I provided. I occasionally use Q-tips, but hold off most of the time. I also use ear plugs whenever I am in a high noise environment, and at night as they help me sleep.

My son was a competitive swimmer for his high school years, and a few years ago went back into the pool for a workout. He came out and couldn't get water out of his ears, which for him was very unusual. He went the University of Washington health center for them to look into his ears. He told me that he couldn't believe the amount of ear wax that came out of his ears, and he could continue his swimming without water staying in his ears.

Q-tips can actually lead to a buildup of ear wax by pushing it down further. I have used commercial ear wax softeners, that I got from a drug store. They work, but over a few days.

SeaRat

I have found that the pro plugs do work. It’s important that you get the right size and that takes ordering a few sizes and trying them out and tossing the ones that don’t fit right. I found the template used in stores did not work so well as it’s better if they are a bit snug. They do need to be cleaned to ensure the vent hole does not get clogged. If diving multiple days be sure to clean them each night. They also tend to get lost easily as if you drop them they are impossible to find on a boat, that said it’s good to have a back up pair with you. I found I was having problems with water rushing into my ears upon entry, especially if I back rolled, the plugs did help a lot. After wearing them for a few days of diving they do tend to make your ear a little sore, but it’s better than water logged ears after your first day. I don’t find they have any effect on equalizing, but rather help keep water from rushing in.

I have found that the pro plugs do work. It’s important that you get the right size and that takes ordering a few sizes and trying them out and tossing the ones that don’t fit right. I found the template used in stores did not work so well as it’s better if they are a bit snug. They do need to be cleaned to ensure the vent hole does not get clogged. If diving multiple days be sure to clean them each night. They also tend to get lost easily as if you drop them they are impossible to find on a boat, that said it’s good to have a back up pair with you. I found I was having problems with water rushing into my ears upon entry, especially if I back rolled, the plugs did help a lot. After wearing them for a few days of diving they do tend to make your ear a little sore, but it’s better than water logged ears after your first day. I don’t find they have any effect on equalizing, but rather help keep water from rushing in.
Another trick I learned the few times I wore them was to wrap the "string" somehow around your mask strap so you can't possibly have them pop out and lose them. You also have to watch out that the "string" doesn't become unattached to one plug. I had a backup pair as well. After reading John's posts I think that if you use them your idea of keeping the holes clear and cleaned is a good one.

Another thing you can use is called the Mack’s Ear Dryer, sold on Amazon. It blows air into your ear to help dry it out at the end of the day. I found that it does help and works better than the alcohol ear drops which did very little for me. I think everyone is different when it comes to this ear stuff, what works for one does not for another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom