Doc's Pro Plugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im very sensitive about my ears as I can’t equalize with my nose, only my jaw, and I must have a small hole in my eardrum as water always gets in in certain positions while under. JBL Hydro Seal diving earplugs have been a life saver, much easier to lock into place. That plus a hood always keeps my ears from trapping any water inside.

Im very sensitive about my ears as I can’t equalize with my nose, only my jaw, and I must have a small hole in my eardrum as water always gets in in certain positions while under. JBL Hydro Seal diving earplugs have been a life saver, much easier to lock into place. That plus a hood always keeps my ears from trapping any water inside.
Curious if you used the docs pro plugs and feel if the jbl plugs are better?

Another thing you can use is called the Mack’s Ear Dryer, sold on Amazon. It blows air into your ear to help dry it out at the end of the day. I found that it does help and works better than the alcohol ear drops which did very little for me. I think everyone is different when it comes to this ear stuff, what works for one does not for another.
The original post asked whether Doc's Pro Plugs might help with equalization. I use the Mack's Ear Dryer, too, but I don't think that will help the OP. :)

A friend of mine takes Sudafed prior to diving--he says that it helps him equalize. I’d like to recommend him something like Pro Plugs or EarShield, especially since some experienced divers have told me about the potential concern of oxygen toxicity when taking it just prior to diving. Should I advise him to steer clear of Sudafed? Cheers.

The original post asked whether Doc's Pro Plugs might help with equalization. I use the Mack's Ear Dryer, too, but I don't think that will help the OP. :)
Well if your ears are completely clogged with water you won’t be equalizing all that well, especially after a few days of diving. Keeping your ears dry is kinda important for some folks.

Well if your ears are completely clogged with water you won’t be equalizing all that well, especially after a few days of diving. Keeping your ears dry is kinda important for some folks.
I agree that keeping ears dry is important, because it reduces the likelihood of infection. And an infection or inflammation would affect the ability to equalize. However--and I'm just speaking from my lay-understanding of ears--I don't believe ears can become "clogged with water." It may feel like that for a while after a dive, even after the water has drained out. The ear may remain moist for a while after the water has drained out, and that's where plugs such as Doc's or swimmers' ear drops ("ear beer") or something like Mack's Dryer can help. Or at least that is how I understand it.

@doctormike or another ENT may be able to help clarify what the plugs are intended to do.

I agree that keeping ears dry is important, because it reduces the likelihood of infection. And an infection or inflammation would affect the ability to equalize. However--and I'm just speaking from my lay-understanding of ears--I don't believe ears can become "clogged with water." It may feel like that for a while after a dive, even after the water has drained out. The ear may remain moist for a while after the water has drained out, and that's where plugs such as Doc's or swimmers' ear drops ("ear beer") or something like Mack's Dryer can help. Or at least that is how I understand it.

@doctormike or another ENT may be able to help clarify what the plugs are intended to do.

Yeah, this comes up a lot. Outer ear problems (related to water exposure, treated with ear plugs, the ear dryer or drops) and middle ear problems (related to equalization) have nothing to do with each other in terms of cause, pathophysiology and treatment, although they both can cause ear pan and hearing issues.

More info here.

Curious if you used the docs pro plugs and feel if the jbl plugs are better?
Yes, I have both (I used the size sampler from Docs pro plugs) and to me JBL are far superior and worth the extra few bucks.

They feel like earbuds almost, stay in without moving around under my hood and keep my ears out of trouble.

I've used Doc's Pro Plugs for a while and they absolutely help. The only problem is that they do not stay in place well unless you either wear a hoodie or cap, or place the mask strap across the ears to hold them in place.

I have also been using a product called Ear Shield which I like a lot. I've always had problems with water draining from my ears after submersion. But just a couple of squirts in ear ear before diving coats the ear canal and the water instantly drains when my head comes out of the water. At first I used both together but lately, I've been using the Ear Shield only since the plugs are a little bit of a nuisance at times, both for the reasons I stated above and also just keeping up with them.

But all that being said, neither will help your friend equalize. That is something he is going to have to figure out a way to do regardless of using either product. Even using the plugs and the spray I would have problems with my ears as I was using the Valsalva method of equalizing. I finally figured out how to equalize using my jaw and my ear problems have virtually disappeared. I found that moving my jaw forward is quite easy for me and I can equalize at will. You don't say what method of equalization your friend uses but there is a thread going now about the different methods. Avoid the Valsalva Maneuver for Equalizing!
It is the valsalva maneuver.

There is some discussion here & there about wet ears, dry ears, those that have irritation problems from water, etc. Of course I am no expert, but I figure everyone's ears vary at least a little. Like everyone needing a different amount of and type of sleep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom