Does any one dive Farm Ponds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep.That's about all we had to swim in aside from a couple creeks when I was a kid. The muddy green and brown water and cow manure kept the vis down to about one inch though.

I would however strongly urge you to snorkel it first to get a real feel for depth and bottom conditions

Unfortunately, not every puddle is diveable so be cautious and safe.

Speaking from a PSD view I would say that going in with a snorkel is the worst possible information. :shocked2: Making a rather quick dive into poor vis and unknown conditions could be a recipe for disaster. Ponds have killed more PSD's than most other bodies of water. These can be very dangerous areas for many reasons. Also not being totally protected from the environment can make you very sick. Sicker than you would ever want to be.

If you think I full of that pond water go ask this same question over on the PSD forum.:wink:

Gary D.

Plus...if there are fish in the pond, there is a good chance that people have fished the pond.

Diving+fishing line= danger

Speaking from a PSD view I would say that going in with a snorkel is the worst possible information. :shocked2: Making a rather quick dive into poor vis and unknown conditions could be a recipe for disaster. Ponds have killed more PSD's than most other bodies of water. These can be very dangerous areas for many reasons. Also not being totally protected from the environment can make you very sick. Sicker than you would ever want to be.

If you think I full of that pond water go ask this same question over on the PSD forum.:wink:

Gary D.

I agree sort of...sorry my brain went quicker than the keyboard. The snorkel comment originated with the intention of staying on the surface (as snorkels are usually used) but my brain crossed back over to the question of diving.

And, lots of divers do new dives in poor conditions all the time and surface. No need to claim the world is ending here. You do not know what the coinditions are yet you have them dying already. Common sense needs to kick in at some point for the person doing the dive and if that is after they are in trouble....well then guaranteeing them almost certain death likely would not have helped either.

Ha, ha. When I was a kid there was a pond below our house where we used to swim. We made a game out of who came out with the most leeches. Same thing with the ticks we picked up walking back through the field.

Gary is very correct about the health concerns though. As a vet I can tell you there are some very nasty bugs out there.

In Houston there is a 3 acre pond (Lake 288) that is used for certification dives. It was originally a sand quarry that later became a swimming hole in the 1970's. It is also spring fed, which makes for a nice thermocline at about 23' deep. Even with this clear water visibility is 10-15 feet on a good day provided that you are within reach of sunlight that promptly stops at about 20-25 feet. After that you need lights and there is nothing to really see.

There isn't that much marine life since people have been fishing it for years. Most noteable is that individual strands of hydrilla can be 15-20 feet long! A bit disappointing to dive, but convenient to stay wet.

Here's a story that will make you think.

The owner of a pond (fortunately) asked his neighbor to join him while he repaired his drainage valve on a Sunday afternoon. I don't know how it happened exactly, but the valve was opened, which created a suction that pulled the owner to the opening and held him there with incredible force.

Again fortunately, the neighbor owned the local dive shop, and he rushed to the closed shop and got got more tanks so that the victim would have something to breathe while they worked on a solution. Everything was of course complicated by the fact that it was a Sunday afternoon. Eventually they got someone with a backhoe to cover the drain outlet with dirt to stop the flow and release the pressure.

Fish count? :rofl3: "Once I have counted you, please line up over there"

As ludicrous as it sounds, counting fish really isn't all that uncommon. That's all a REEF study is, after all, and it's about the same thing we do for the National Marine Sanctuaries...we take our waterproof clipboards, study our fishies, and go to counting.
The cool thing is all that data gets lumped in with that from everyone else, and we hope to ultimately get a better picture of what's going on with our reef ecosystems.

But true, it does sound funny, doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom