Does any one dive Farm Ponds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to every one for the input. the votes seam to sugest i foget the idea so i will bow to those who know more than i. thanks again and thanks for this board it's a great help for us new divers.

I think it would violate at least one of my rules. I'm an 80-80-80 diver. The water has to be at least 80 degrees. The air has to be at least 80 degrees. I want at least 80 feet of visibility. Outside of that, I'm most likely not going to jump into it.

Actually, I'll compromise the visibilty down to 50 or 60 feet but that's about it.

-Charles

I think it would violate at least one of my rules. I'm an 80-80-80 diver. The water has to be at least 80 degrees. The air has to be at least 80 degrees. I want at least 80 feet of visibility. Outside of that, I'm most likely not going to jump into it.

Actually, I'll compromise the visibilty down to 50 or 60 feet but that's about it.

-Charles

Sheez, As the saying goes, you ain't from around here...

Oklahoma diving is considered to be a 10 when you have greater than 15 ft viz... If you waited until you have 50 or 80, well you'd never get wet....

For the OP... My check out OW dives were in a "farm pond"... 5 acre, 32 ft deep, with 1-2 ft viz and a bottom temp of 68... This was in June... The only saving grace was there were no animals in the field... In the future, I will definitely be hesitant to jump into a farm pond...

You're right. I'm not from Oklahoma. I do all of my diving in the Carribbean or South Pacific. May : Cocoview in Roatan, August : Cozumel, October : Bali and Suliwesi

I've heard all the yap "You don't know what you're missing." Blah, blah, blah. I'm missing cold water and poor visibility. I guess I'll just have to suffer that loss.

-Charles

I've dove my family's pond in South Dakota. It was low viz and fairly shallow. One spot went to 30 feet (so my uncle says who dug it out) but I didn't go that deep. I couldn't tell if I was in silt or the bottom, the muck was so thick in some areas.

The pond is on a hill in a dry river valley, so doesn't get much runoff from surrounding land. Also, livestock is kept out of the area so there's not a lot of waste. It's stocked with bullheads and the kids fish it regularly. While diving I saw no fish but did see these big 4 inch mussel looking things. Don't know what they're called.

It was a chance to dive, but I wouldn't call it a relaxing dive.

Pics of the pond here:

Uncle Mike's Pond 2008-07-08 - a set on Flickr

Video of pond viz here:

Top 8 foot of water column on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Back
Top Bottom